What's new

Is A&E about to discontinue some of it's tv titles? (1 Viewer)

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
While browsing A&E's online store, I noticed that a few of their television shows are marked as "clearance". I guess,to me, clearance means that once they're gone,they're gone.

Among some of the dvd titles/sets that are marked under "clearance" are "Profiler" seasons 1-4, "Sapphire and Steel", "Dr.Quinn,Medicine Woman"-all season sets, "Ellen" season sets,"Highway to Heaven","Quatermass","Kids in the Hall"-seasons 1-3,a few Gerry Anderson titles, "Upstairs Downstairs"-megaset , "The New Avengers" and some more choice titles.

I was wondering if someone on the "up and up" could tell me if this means that these titles are no longer going to be produced? There are a few tv sets in there that I have yet to pick up that are on my ever-growing "want list" but if they are going to be discontinued, I'm going to make them priority on my purchase list.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! :emoji_thumbsup:

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Brett, A&E has been conducting on and off clearance sales for sometime now. In most cases, it's probably just a matter of thinning inventory. A&E has higher than average list prices for its TV-on-DVDs, and I suspect that they simply had higher initial sales expectations for some of their titles. A few other companies like HamiltonBook.com and Nina's Discount Oldies also carry some of A&E's titles (both companies have offered the old version of the Monty Python Megaset for $45 to $50) and A&E has its own store on eBay. I did read some time ago that some of the ITC licenses for classic British shows were supposed to expire (I think "Space: 1999" was mentioned), but I'm not clear about the details.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info,Bob.

I have heard about A&E's ITC license running out sometime this year so it may be wise for me to pick up any ITC related sets at this time.

I have to agree about A&E's prices on their sets: way overpriced. Most of them are decent transfers to dvd but are not exactly loaded with extras. I was sadly disappointed in the Space:1999 mega set release and had hoped for some commentaries on a few episodes (and a far better transfer on the season 1 episodes).
You'd think they'd bring their prices down to a level that is comparable to the average tv to dvd release. Maybe this "clearance" sale is their way of doing so. ;)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I wish A&E would drop the price on Ellen, I only have season 1 (since it's been on sale for under $10 a few times) but while I'd love to get the other seasons, I just cannot justify paying $35-40 for them when IMO, it is NOT Seinfeld where the higher list price is justified. Lower the retail a tad and I'd be all up in it. Maybe there'll be some major sales for seasons 2 and 3 in the near future like there's been for season 1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks