Is A&E about to discontinue some of it's tv titles?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brett*H, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

While browsing A&E's online store, I noticed that a few of their television shows are marked as "clearance". I guess,to me, clearance means that once they're gone,they're gone.

Among some of the dvd titles/sets that are marked under "clearance" are "Profiler" seasons 1-4, "Sapphire and Steel", "Dr.Quinn,Medicine Woman"-all season sets, "Ellen" season sets,"Highway to Heaven","Quatermass","Kids in the Hall"-seasons 1-3,a few Gerry Anderson titles, "Upstairs Downstairs"-megaset , "The New Avengers" and some more choice titles.

I was wondering if someone on the "up and up" could tell me if this means that these titles are no longer going to be produced? There are a few tv sets in there that I have yet to pick up that are on my ever-growing "want list" but if they are going to be discontinued, I'm going to make them priority on my purchase list.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Brett, A&E has been conducting on and off clearance sales for sometime now. In most cases, it's probably just a matter of thinning inventory. A&E has higher than average list prices for its TV-on-DVDs, and I suspect that they simply had higher initial sales expectations for some of their titles. A few other companies like HamiltonBook.com and Nina's Discount Oldies also carry some of A&E's titles (both companies have offered the old version of the Monty Python Megaset for $45 to $50) and A&E has its own store on eBay. I did read some time ago that some of the ITC licenses for classic British shows were supposed to expire (I think "Space: 1999" was mentioned), but I'm not clear about the details.

3. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info,Bob.

I have heard about A&E's ITC license running out sometime this year so it may be wise for me to pick up any ITC related sets at this time.

I have to agree about A&E's prices on their sets: way overpriced. Most of them are decent transfers to dvd but are not exactly loaded with extras. I was sadly disappointed in the Space:1999 mega set release and had hoped for some commentaries on a few episodes (and a far better transfer on the season 1 episodes).
    You'd think they'd bring their prices down to a level that is comparable to the average tv to dvd release. Maybe this "clearance" sale is their way of doing so. [​IMG]

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I wish A&E would drop the price on Ellen, I only have season 1 (since it's been on sale for under $10 a few times) but while I'd love to get the other seasons, I just cannot justify paying $35-40 for them when IMO, it is NOT Seinfeld where the higher list price is justified. Lower the retail a tad and I'd be all up in it. Maybe there'll be some major sales for seasons 2 and 3 in the near future like there's been for season 1