What's new

IS a DVD upgrade worth it?! (1 Viewer)

JohnAngelo

Auditioning
Real Name
john zilli
I have a humble lcd (Visio 37) which is capable of 1080i/720p/480p/480i. My DVD player is only 480p. Question is this: will I notice a considerable difference in picture quality upgrading my DVD player? Is it really worth it for me? I am hearing conflicting advice. So pleace conflict!! Thanks!!!

Chris Huber

Second Unit
It was for me. I've got a 53 inch DHTV widescreen and an upconvert sony via HDMI. The sony drive tray broke and I had to send it in. In the mean time, I had to hook up my 480p JVC up. I could really tell a difference.

Colors and overall sharpness is improved.

Why not maximize your TVs potential for a small amount of money?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I would save up for Blu-ray/HD-DVD. Any improvements from an upscaling player would be fairly marginal (since essentially you are just scaling in the player rather than in your display) compared to getting true resolution improvement on disc.

It also depends on your viewing distance. At 9 feet differences won't be as noticeable as at 5 feet, given your 37" set.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A friend has the 42" Vizio and he picked up an Oppo 970HD and he says it looks great. For $150, it can't hurt to go for it until you can save for a BD or HD-DVD player.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I needed a new dvd player, so I got a Sony upscaling player for a bit over $100- the pq is awesome.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It really comes down to the scaling quality between the LCD and the DVD player. That's a low-budget LCD, so I wouoldn't expect the scaling to be stellar. Something like an Oppo player or the like might indeed be a worthy upgrade, but again it really is just a comparison between the quality of one scaler to the next.

Perhaps moving to an HD-DVD or BRD player might be a good choice if budget allows, you kill two birds with one stone, good upscaling if you need it, and the addition of HD capability.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. I've got a 46 inch Sony Wega HD LCD, and was less than impressed with the quality of my dvds (they had a distracting grainy quality to them), and was starting to consider going HD, but then I got the Sony player. My dvds look incredible now.

In my opinion, it's definitely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks