What's new

Is a Denon A1 DVD player worth it? (1 Viewer)

Jared W V

Auditioning
Is a Denon A1 DVD player worth it? I mean it's $2000.00US and it only plays one CD at a time. Will I really notice a difference in DVD movies and sound quality?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jared, the US version of the DVD-A1 is the DVD-9000, and the '9000 sells for $3000-3500 USD here. So, if you can get a new 'A1 in a sealed box for $2000 USD, you should consider yourself fortunate. Is it worth $2000 USD? Only you can decide. I can say that the 'A1 got a good review in What Hi*Fi? (UK) a few months back. Their only criticism was CD playback, as they found the 'A1 to be lacking relative to comparably priced CD-only players. That doesn't surprise me. CD-only players usually beat comparably priced DVD players playing CDs.

The US '9000 has garnered some positive reviews here, so do a search. The main complaint people have had is that early units displayed the chroma bug. Denon has since released a disc-based firmware upgrade that supposedly fixes the problem. I believe newer units are shipping with this upgraded firmware. Finally, I would imagine that the chroma bug affected early 'A1 units too.

I wouldn't knock the 'A1 for being a single-disc unit. First of all, at $2000 USD and up, there are no changers. Secondly, at a given price point, a single-disc player is usually a better audio component than a changer.

Overall, the '9000, which I have demoed a few times, is an excellent component. Picture quality and DVD-Audio sound are first-rate from what I have seen. Build quality is outstanding as well. I would expect the 'A1 to perform as well. My main issue with the '9000/'A1, assuming the chroma bug has been removed with the firmware upgrade, is that you are paying a lot of money and not getting SACD. By now, I feel the high price of the '9000/'A1 warrants both SACD and DVD-Audio playback. Just my opinion.

If you feel the 'A1 is too expensive, you could step down to the Denon '3800. It sells for $1200 USD and offers many of the same features as the 'A1. The '3800 isn't built as well and is not as good a component, but it is a highly capable machine nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks