Is a dedicated CD player better or a DVD player for music?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim_, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

For music is a dedicated CD player better or a good DVD player will do? I'm just frustrated as my old DVD player is not able to plays my CD properly. 90% of my CD is not recognizable. I'm shopping for a player that will do both perfectly but since my DVD still does it primary functions well I'm opting to see if I should get a good CD player instead. Unless there isn't any difference then I'll just get a DVD player.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Tim, there are different answers to your question. But here's my take: Even though DVD players are able to play CDs, I'd rather use a separate CD player for the simple reason that DVD players tend to run hot and, if overused, have a short lifespan. For that reason, I use my DVD players to play DVDs only. Others, however, will tell you something else altogether.

As for your player, if it's not able to play "90 percent" of the CDs you try to play, then there's something wrong with it. May I assume you take reasonably good care of the machine?

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Another part of the equation is whether you are sending the signal from the CD or DVD player to the receiver over a digital or analog connection. If digital, then your receiver DAC's are doing the decoding and the player is only a transport mechanism. Analog connections would rely on the players DAC's.

I agree with Jack that there is something amiss with your present player if it won't play CD's reliably.

Mort

4. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

I take very good care of my equipments. Better they my pets, hehe. The DVD player is the first generation DVD player that I been using for 10 or more years. I never use it to listen to music as I have two separate system for MOVIE and MUSIC. Recently I upgrade my main Speaker for Movie to my beloved $1600.00 MBQs and notice I can't play most of my CD with it. It'll play and music sounded awesome or just won't play at all. I guess a dedicated CD player is the way to go then.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Tim, you cannot have used the unit "more than ten years"; DVD players were introduced in 1997. At any rate, the machine is a bit old. Maybe you should consider a new one.