What's new

Is a dead XBR worth anything? (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Well my 36 inch XBR is dead, doesn't turn on anymore, and I know what the problem is. My question is, does anyone know if it is worth anything in its current condition? Its the 36XBR400. Thanks

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator
my 1994 32" XBR suffered a similar death about two years ago. for the couple of hundred it took to fix it I could not have bought anything anywhere close to the PQ. I'm still amazed at how nice it is. The only drawback to the Sony crt XBRs are their size and weight. unless you are looking for an excuse to replace it with something new...I'd fix it. I doubt selling it would be an option...however, a TV shop (if you can find one) might give you a buck or two or a discount on a trade in.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Well, considering its the stupid D board that went bad, repair costs are in the 7-800 range for it. So I may as well get an updated tv now.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
The "D" board is the High Voltage/Power supply board. There is no sophisticated circuitry on it and it should be repairable (not replaceable). Now, a "B" board is not very repairable on the other hand. Board replacement is something you do when a set is in warranty. Board repair is what you do when the set is 3 years old. A service company will also have more profit on a $200 repair then on a $700 board replacement so it is to their advantage to repair rather than replace.

Time to round up friends and family, call in favors and get that set into a quality shop. Unless you have had it checked out, you need to know that virtually any failure in any circuit will produce the same symptom: dead or clicks and nothing else happens. There are LOTS of safety shutdowns on modern TVs.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Steve: just out of pure curiosity, when an CRT TV's image size starts shrinking (from top to bottom) what does that mean? Last year, after 14 years our 27" Philips did this: it started with thin 1/4" black lines at the top & bottom, then these slowly became larger and about three months later we turned on the TV and the image had shrunken to roughly a 16:9 ratio. Time for a new TV! :)

Thanks.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Unfortunately there is only one shop in town that will work on it, and they won't repair it, only replace it, and the board from Sony runs almost 350, or so I am told, then there is the labor involved. It was a great tv while it lasted. I have done a ton of research on this problem with this tv and it isn't pretty.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Allan for the advice, because now my dad's old TV is doing the shrink thing now too.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I was busy last night, but:
Brandon, sorry about your local shop. That is about right on the cost of the part but there shouldn't be a lot of labor since all of the adjustment data is on other boards. It looks like the shop has "reinvented" itself to satisfy the manufacturers for warranty repairs at the expense of out-of-warranty customers. Perhaps their "real" technicians have disappeared.

Lance, sudden changes in height would be solder connections, slow changes are usually electrolytic capacitors ($5 parts). Cost of repair depends on the familiarity of the servicer with the brand. The more familiar, the faster, the cheaper. Typical costs would be in the $50 - $80 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks