1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a compass a good way to check speaker shielding?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianGC, Mar 24, 2003.

1. BrianGC

BrianGC Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Is a compass a good way to check if speakers are adequately shielded, or would that be too sensitive?

I used one around some speakers that are supposedly shielded, and the compass needle deflected when I got within maybe 2 ft., possibly a little less.

I'm wondering if a properly shielded speaker would still emit enough of a magnetic field to deflect the compass needle.

Thanks,
    BrianGC

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

This is about to drop off the board so I will throw in my 2c. Unfortunatly I can't answer your question.

However, if you are not "seeing" a shielding problem on your tv, than who really cares?

-rob

3. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

A Compas is too sensitive. Have you ever heard of the earth's magnetic field distorting the picture on a CRT?

4. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

If your speakers aren't shielded adequately, you'll see picture distortion or tinting. If there's no noticeable discoloration or distortion of your TV's image, I'd think there would be little chance of damaging anything. I agree with Mark in that the compass is so sensitive that you shouldn't worry about it. Just don't carry an unshielded subwoofer with a 10-lb magnet by your TV. [​IMG]

6. BrianGC

BrianGC Stunt Coordinator

OK, thanks. I was trying to think of a better way to tell than just sit them by the TV and see what happens. LOL I think I'm going to replace them anyway so it may be a moot point.

BrianGC