What's new

Is a compass a good way to check speaker shielding? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Is a compass a good way to check if speakers are adequately shielded, or would that be too sensitive?

I used one around some speakers that are supposedly shielded, and the compass needle deflected when I got within maybe 2 ft., possibly a little less.

I'm wondering if a properly shielded speaker would still emit enough of a magnetic field to deflect the compass needle.

Thanks,
BrianGC

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
This is about to drop off the board so I will throw in my 2c. Unfortunatly I can't answer your question.

However, if you are not "seeing" a shielding problem on your tv, than who really cares?

-rob

MarkO

Second Unit
A Compas is too sensitive. Have you ever heard of the earth's magnetic field distorting the picture on a CRT?

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
Have you ever heard of the earth's magnetic field distorting the picture on a CRT?
yes i think i have... i beleive why the sony xbr tubes have ajustment to staighten the picture out b/c of the earth's magnetic feild tilting the picture... i think its called tilt in the menu.... ive had to use it a couple of times on the bigger one 36 & 40 inchers... from my understand the picture can become tilted due to the magnetic field of the earth... this is was i was told, dunno if its true but why else would they make a tilt? crooked cabinet?

btw i think the compass might be a bit sensitive for your application...

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
If your speakers aren't shielded adequately, you'll see picture distortion or tinting. If there's no noticeable discoloration or distortion of your TV's image, I'd think there would be little chance of damaging anything. I agree with Mark in that the compass is so sensitive that you shouldn't worry about it. Just don't carry an unshielded subwoofer with a 10-lb magnet by your TV. :)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
OK, thanks. I was trying to think of a better way to tell than just sit them by the TV and see what happens. LOL I think I'm going to replace them anyway so it may be a moot point.

BrianGC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks