Is a 400watt PS enough for this setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Im building an Athlon XP 1800+ w/ Soyo Dragon K7+ mobo.

512 MB PC2100 DDR Ram

Lite On 32x12 CR-RW

Lite On 16x DVD

SB Live!

Swiftech HSF

GeForece 3 Ti200...

Those are the basics. Now my question - my case is an all aluminum alloy with 6 fans!! Will 400 watts be enough to power all the above components and 6 fans??

Also, when looking at the fans each fan has a bundle of wires with a male connector and a bundle w/ a female connector coming from it. Can I run my fans in a series? In other words, can I hook two or more fans together or should each fan have it's own male/female combo coming from the power supply?

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

It really depends on what brand PSU. Some good ones are Enermax, Antec, PP&C, and Sparkle, although there are others.

Any good PSU will tell you the amperage for each voltage rail on the box, or on a sticker attached to the PSU.

Beware of cheaper PSUs; even though they may be rated 400W, they have lower amperages, and are actually very weak. Cheaper PSUs also have very few 4-pin connectors.

Your fans should run fine in series, although I expect the drain on a single connector to lower the overall RPMs. My advice is to connect all your computer hardware first, then evenly distribute the fans over the remaining 4-pin connectors.

Or better yet, with 6 fans, you might want to look into buying a fanbus; it would cut down on the clutter.

3. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

The PSU is a Raidmax... from what I've read, they look pretty good. Thanks for the advice!

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'm not familiar with Raidmax but generally speaking, 400w ought to be plenty for your set-up.

5. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Raidmax is just a rebranded name. I've seen this PSU marketed at Fry's before; very high quality, aluminum housing, and specs that are on par with Enermax PSUs.