What's new

Is a 34" widescreen big enough? (1 Viewer)

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering getting a 34" widescreen. As of now, I am sitting around 12 ft. from my tv. This seems extraordinary far, but it is the way my apt. is setup. My concern is when I move into another place, I probably won't be sitting this far away. What should I do?

-Dan

Leo_P

Second Unit
Dan, I sit about 7 ft. away from my TV (presently a 32" JVC flat-screen) and I'm in the market for a 34" WS HDTV. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Philips 34PW9818.:emoji_thumbsup:
IMO, 12' is kinda far away to sit from a 34". Hell, if I had that much space, I'd get a front projector, no doubt! But that's just me. I'd say to get something that fits your space now and worry about the future, later.
I was worried about the same issues from the opposite point of view. A 34" is fine for my apartment right now, but I know it's gonna be too small when I move into a house. But at that point I'll probably put the 34" in the living room and have a digital FP in the dedicated home theater.:D
BTW, what TV are you looking at getting?

Gordon Small

Auditioning
Dan, I had the same problem deciding on a screen size about 4 years ago. My viewing distance was about 12 feet and I was about to go with a 36" set. After a couple weeks of flipflopping I ended up getting a Sony 53" and was glad I did. Last month I replaced the 53" set with a 61" Samsung DLP. The 12 feet is a little close for this set but I'm in the process of building a new house and the new room will put the viewing distance at about 14 feet. I really believe that bigger is better when it comes to home theater. According to some "experts" my screen size would be to big but it really boils down to personal preference. ....And, what will fit in your room.

Maybe the following link could help you out.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

Good luck...

Gordon

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Depends on how large your set is now. If it's larger than the 34" you will be dissapointed in the size of the pic. But if you have like a 19" you will be overwhelmed.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Can't you sit closer? Yes, it's how your apt is arranged right now, but can't rearrangement be a real option? What do you think the likely room size/viewing distance will be if/when you do move?

Like Jeff says, if you're moving up from a smaller TV like 19", then the 34" might be good enough (for a few years anyway :D). But 12ft is very far away indeed. I'd say switch to ~7ft like Leo for a 34" OR at least closer to what you'd expect if/when you do move.

Maybe you should go w/ a small RPTV--maybe a tabletop model--in the mid-40" range instead and then sit at ~10ft. Then, that would probably be much closer to your future arrangement and might not need a serious rearrangement of your current situation. An RPTV will probably also yield much higher resolution for HD content.

_Man_

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
12 feet is far enough way for 60 inch IMO. Im about 8 feet away from a 46 inch, its not bad, but it could be bigger without any problems. I would agree with most people saying go bigger.

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the responses!

I am considering getting the sony 34xbr800 (or the newer model in the summer). I have a 20" tv now, so I am expecting anything bigger to be a substantial improvement. The room viewing distance seems exceptionally long to me, so I would assume that when I eventually get a house or move somewhere else the viewing distance would be shorter. Unfortunaly, the way the room is set up (ie. fireplace, patio door, bedroom door, kitchen bar) I don't have much choice where I put my tv and sofa. My girlfriend isn't fond of RPTV's because they are too big and she isn't impressed by the picture quality (at least the ones in our price range of around $2500) so I am stuck with a CRT set. Sooooo.....I guess with all that in mind......I really don't have a choice since 34" is the largest widescreen CRT I have seen. I was just wondering if it will be a severe downgrade in PQ by sitting so far away?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I have a small living room and ended up with a 42" Toshiba RPTV. The form factor passed the spouse test because it isn't overwhelming, but I have a nice sized widescreen picture that beats my 35" 4:3 direct view hands-down. You can get one in the $1500 range and I promise it'll be less intrusive than a large direct view set. I don't think you're "stuck with a CRT set" at all.

A small RPTV will give you the wow factor, take up less space and look better in the room, IMHO, and for $1000 less.

Something to consider.

Jan

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I purchased the 34XBR800 a month ago and love this set. I had a 27" 4:3 before and this set is big enough, but I always go for quality or quantity. Personally I loke a CRT for less fear or burn in and less maintenaince later on (hopefully)

Can you you buy and return in 30 days if you dislike it? It is so hard to gauged a size in stores. I would take it home and try it out if I were you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks