Is a 150watt plate amp enough for this ... Also, some help with enclosure size.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hammerly, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I was thinking about taking the 12" Dayton DVC sub I got on the DOTD a while back and building a 1.7 cubic foot sealed enclosure for it. Would the partsexpress smaller amp power it adequately? Also, would the 1.7 cubic foot box be the best size for this driver? I'd love to go smaller yet. I'd like the higher bass that you can really feel but don't want the boom. Any help out there?

2. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I think you would need more power than 150 watts. I have a PE DVC 12" in a passive radiator box. I can hit 109 db at 25 hertz heartbeat on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. However, the PR box is tuned to 21 hertz and will be much more efficient at lower frequencies.

If you have Excel, download Unibox and model your woofer and enclosure with 150 watts and see if you think it will meet your needs. You will probably get a little room gain below 30 hertz, but that is incosistent from room to room.

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

The 150 watt amp should push the DVC pretty good. But assuming you're talking about PE plate amps, the 250 watter is only $20 more. How can you resist that much extra headroom for a measly $20?

I built a 1.33 cu ft sealed and stuffed DVC but I wasn't satisfied with its extension for movies. For music it was mostly fine but I'd still occaisionally feel the desire for more extension. 1.7 sealed and stuffed sounds just about right to me.