What's new

Is 65" too big? (1 Viewer)

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I started looking at 46" or so. Then I started considering the Mitsubishi 55809. Then I saw a 65 Mits at a co-workers house. It didn't seem excessive. Is a 55" going to look small shortly? The main viewing area is about 9' away.

khang

Grip
I asked myself the same question a month ago. Finally decided on the 65". At first my viewing distance was 10 ft. For slow-moving program, it was very good, but for sports, I felt a little bit dizzy. Now, I'm at 13' and it's perfect. Of course, it's all personnal preference!

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Have a 65 and sitting at 9 ' from it. No problems here. As the above says, its a personal preference. My advice to try and see what is OK for u.

BTW, we had a 61" before and we sat 8' from it.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I had the same question 6 years ago when I went for the 56 instead of the 65. It didn't get small and still seems fine. I'm sure the 65 will never seem small!

Enjoy...and don't forget to set it up with VE or AVIA right away!!

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I get VE or AVIA? Do I need to wait a week or so before using or is it a never ending process?

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
You can get Avia online at any of the usual places (Amazon.com is where I got my copy). I believe the same holds true for VE, though for a while there I did hear that it was being discontinued and I'm not sure if this is true (and if so, how it may affect your ability to order it).

Do I need to wait a week or so before using or is it a never ending process?
Are you asking if you need to wait a week to use the TV or wait a week to calibrate using Avia? I'll assume the latter. I would calibrate right away, then re-calibrate once you've put a couple hundred hours on the TV since the unit will "settle" a bit in terms of performance. I don't know the technical terms for what happens, but I believe the guns may settle in and this changes their settings a little bit.

If you want to take calibration to the next level, you can consider having your unit professionally calibrated by an ISF technician. A search of this forum should yield plenty of additional information on that subject.

Congrats on your purchase. I have a WS-65907 and other than the red push problem (I haven't engaged an ISF tech. yet to fix this), I'm thrilled with the unit.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I second the calibrate right away thing. The factory settings are usually way too high and sill shorten the life of your TV.

VE is also available (look well) at Best Buy. I always see at least one copy sitting around on the shelf when I go.

Mike Pgh

Auditioning
You can buy Avia at Best Buy for $49.99. You can get it cheaper online but if you're like me and don't want to wait for delivery it is available at BB. Circuit City has it on their website for $10 cheaper but they don't typically stock it in the stores.

I calibrated my new 50" Toshiba the 2nd day I had it. I'll wait 100 hours or so then recalibrate.

If you have a 5.1 setup then I also recommend you buy an analog sound level meter from Radio Shack ($39.99) so you can use the audio test tones on Avia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks