What's new

Is 6.5 ft too close to 40" TV? (1 Viewer)

JeremyX

Stunt Coordinator
I was reading a guide that stated you should multiply you tv size by 3 and that should be the distance you sit from it..but in my living room that isn't possible with the layout I currently use?

Is there some sort of danger or aural/visual degradation by being that close? Is 6.5 feet too close for a 40" direct view?

thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Bill Maeder

Auditioning
I know of no danger in sitting close to a TV, but with a 40" screen at 6.5 feet the quality of you viewing will not be as good as if you could move farther back.

The picture will not look look as sharp and crisp because you will be close enough to see the horizontal lines on the screen.

That said, I have a 35" direct view and sit about 10' away but I often find my self sitting on the edge of the table which is 4' away and enjoy it just as well.

I have read that to immerse yourself in a movie it is better if your eyes have to move around to take in all that is on the screen, rather than focus on a point like you do with a TV that is a good distance away.

So I would say go for it if you already have the 40'. If you looking at buying I would recommend the 35" instead.

Bill

JeremyX

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Bob,
Thanks! :emoji_thumbsup:
That is just what I needed..so according to that, I should sit closer?!?! Hrm. I would be afraid to see the scanlines..but according to that web site I am just fine...if anything my degree of viewing angle is not optimal...it is too narrow I guess.
Very cool site. Thanks again.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
When I had a 72x54" screen (90" NTSC diagonal/81" 16:9 diagonal) I sat less than 10' from it. For my 12' front row I had to upgrade to an 87x49" screen (100" 16:9 diagonal).

Some where either side of 1.5 screen widths (4' from a 40" 4:3 set) works best for home theater. As you approach 2X width though (64") you loose the cinematic impact and it becomes just a big TV.

The old NTSC viewing numbers come from using interlaced sets which are unwatchable up close (8' wouldn't be out of line for a 32" diagonal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks