1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is $450 for a HK 5800 amp a good deal??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I've heard little about this amp and was wondering if it was a bargain at this price since it once cost about $1200. What are it's strenghs? weaknesses? Is it mainly for HT or can it be good performer in music too? Mating it to BP2002's, BP30's and AVP1. thanks!!

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

first off there's on in the for sale area for $300 [​IMG] Anyway I've got one and it was an improvement over the amps in my Denon 3300 though my speakers aren't the most effiecent. I'm very happy with it in general but I will say that I've since added a much more expensive 2 channel amp to power my mains. For the price though the HK amp is a steal
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I own one of these amps, and I use it to drive 4 ohm speaker loads, and it does a nice job. I got lucky to get one in the $300 range as well last year with J&R was blowing them out.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

4. Tom_Hayes

Tom_Hayes Extra

These were on sale for $350 from J and R but dried up.
    Now, I am not advertising one, but I am selling one on an auction site. I started the bidding at 249 for the 5800 and the Pt2500 (the preamp that is mated with it) and I expect them BOTh to go for under that amount.
    But it IS an excellent Amp.
    Be mindful of shipping charges because these things are HEAVY.

5. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thanks Andrew! Nice setup btw...but I thought that Maggies need much more power than 80 watts per channel?? Here in Houston, I've heard em with BEL amps ($$$) and they are fantastic.