What's new

Is $400 a good deal to change a Marantz SR6200 to an SR7300 (1 Viewer)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Hi,

As always I need your help,

I bought my Marantz SR6200 seven months ago, and overall I'm very pleased with the quality, sound, etc. The only thing that I dont like is the remote. So I was reading the reviews about the SR7300 and for me they are great. I went and audtion it today, and it doesnt have too much differece with the SR6200, but I liked the remote.

So the dealer is accepting my SR6200 for $600, but the new tag price of the SR7200 (In guatemala) is $1000, so I have to pay a difference of $400.

1) Do you think is a good deal considering that in guatemala you pay 27% to customs for importing electronics?

2) Or do you think I should wait for the SR7300 OSP, which for me is the best option, but I dont like the price tag, and in guatemala will be even more expensive?

Thanks for all the replies,
Pablo

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
As you said, the sound is pretty similar, I would be hard pushed to tell them apart. If it's just the remote that bothers you, you could get a damn nice one for $400!

I wouldn't say it's worth it. If I were you I'd wait until I had the money to make a bigger move up.

Just my opinion. Word of warning, if you do go for a SR7300, check it for a high pitched sound coming from the speakers in anything other than source direct, it's very low, but annoying. There is a thread about it somewhere in this forum.

I returned my SR7300 because of that problem.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Pablo,

Save your money. Get another remote. Or if you just feel the need to buy something---add in a 2 or 3 channel amp. You will like your system even better.:D

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys for your replies,

Looks like I'll be waiting for the SR7300 OSP.

One last thing I went again to the dealer, and he is offering me a slightly used SR8200, for $1000 + my SR6200. Do you think is a good deal?

Thanks,
Pablo

PeterCB

Agent
Daneel,

What did you replace the SR7300 you returned with? I am having the same problem with mine, and although I am happy with it otherwise, if I cannot get a replacement unit that doesn't have the problem, I will be shopping for a different brand.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since Pablo and I talked a bit about this recently, I thought I would chime in. I auditioned the 7300, and I own a 6200. I am waiting to hear the OSE and see if it is a step up from the standard 7300, which I expect it will be. Comparing the 6200 to the 7300, I could hear a difference right away with music I am familiar with, subtle as it may be. The Crystal DACs may be the reason for the difference in sound, because power seemed to be basically identical to the 7200. Vocals seemed to be a bit smoother, but I can't quite put my finger on what it was that I was hearing (I auditioned a 7200 in the same room with the same gear previously, both stereo, source direct, no sub). I heard NO high pitch hiss/whine period on this unit.

So I can hear a difference, and there are one or two processing upgrades, an improved (but still not that nice) remote and the price difference for me would be about $250, which is reasonable.

I also looked at used external amplification as well, and found that this path is probably money better spent than such a small step up. I am still waiting to give the OSE a listen, if my dealer gets one in. In the meantime, I will be looking at amps. :)

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
PeterCB: I've got a Pioneer 45tx (D2011 here in the UK) on order. I haven't auditioned it so I'm taking a bit of a risk, but by all accounts it's a damn good receiver.

PeterCB

Agent
Daneel,

Thanks for the quick reply. I also looked at the 45TX, but got scared away by the posts about it shutting down with low impedance speakers (my Def Tech speakers get down to 4 ohms).

PeterCB

Agent
John,

I think the reason you did not hear the high pitched hiss/whine when you auditioned the 7300 is that it was in Source Direct. This is the only mode in which the noise does not occur. Also, it only noticeable at high volume levels during quiet passages or between tracks.

Marantz switched to Cirrus DACs with the X300 series (please refer to the press release http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021209/92119_1.html ), and I think this may be the source of the problem, since Source Direct is the only mode that bypasses the DACs.

It would be great if you could reaudition the 7300 in another mode (stereo or surround) and let me know the results, as this is an otherwise fine receiver, and it would be helpful to know if the problem is confined to a particular production run.

Peter

Rick CH

Agent
I agree that you need to reaudition the 7300 in other modes and also try to audition an analog source (e.g. CD player hooked up by the RCA cables rather than digital Toslink or coax). I found on my 7300 that the high pitched hiss went away when my CD player was connected to the digital coax input. This being the case, perhaps it suggests the problem isn't with the DACs? Source Direct also bypasses the tone control and bass management, so maybe the problem lies there.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys for your info and advice.

I didnt hear any high pitch or hiss in DD or DTS, but I wasnt looking for it either. I will go and reaudtion it.

But I'm have a little fear now. I dont know why marantz is making a new "special" edition, four months after delivering the SR7300, maybe I do has a problem, I think I'll wait for the OSP and see if it has the problem that the SR7300 has.

Do anyone know when the SR7300 OSP will be available?

Thanks again for your replies.
Pablo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks