What's new

Is 40" 16:9 television "small" ?? (1 Viewer)

Scott Lang

Agent
After a lot of reading I have narrowed my search down to the Sony v2500 series tv. I really want the 46" version but it will BARLEY BARLEY fit into my armoire. I have less than 45" width to work with and this tv is 44.13" so its going to be CLOSE. I have cut some cardboard and measured 100 times and I think it will work, but I hate to buy it and go through all that hassel and it not fit and have to return, etc etc...

so Im starting to think about the 40" version... Man I wish it was 42" and not 40"... but my question is, is 40" too small for a main living room television? Currently I have a 36" Wega box style tv and the size is just fine for me. But I kinda wanted to go bigger just because....

but the thing is, the 40" widescreen is actually about 1" shorter (viewable screen size) than my tv now. It is about 7"-8" wider but less viewing space up and down than my current tv...

so my question is, would a 40" compare to my 36" or would I immediately feel like its smaller? Id love a 46" but I really think its going to be too tight for comford (my armoire has doors and I think it might scrap if I attempt to close doors)...

again, man I wish Sony did 42" and not 40".... wouldnt we all like another 2"... lol

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Kinda depends on how far you sit from the screen. I sit about 7 -8 feet back and have a 42" screen. It's OK....but the next one will be 50".

Mort

Rick89114

Grip
Real Name
Richard
We were looing at the XBR2's either the 40 ot 46. I wanted the 40 but the wife talked me into the 46. I sure am glad we opted for the larger.

snash22

Agent
Real Name
Steve Nash
Scott,

FWIW, Since the geometry of the 40" is different, you will be viewing 16:9 content larger than you are now and 4:3 content smaller.

I think to be able to see the 4:3 content at the same size on a 16:9, you'd need to get a 56" set.

I think I got the math right, please correct me if I am wrong.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
snash, your math is definately off.

40in 16:9 is equivalent of 32 inch 4:3 picture (a full 21% smaller viewing area than a 36 inch set).

46 inch 16:9 set is 10% more viewing area than the 36 inch set on 4:3 material.

My opinion is to go with the 46 inch set and hope it work (or make it work)

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Try to find a few old cardboard boxes and mock them up. If you want to simulate TV, tape family photos to the boxes :D

Seriously, though. Mockups do work well for some people :)

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I have a sony kdl-40s2000 bravia that replaced a 36 panny hdtv.It went right in where the panny used to be but with a tighter fit.I sit 8-9 feet away and dont feel it's too small.But bigger is better.If i had the room i would of gone to a 46.It's in my wall unit which consists of a tv stand inbetween 2 towers.I measured the tv standwidth before i got it just to make sure.If your measurements are correct i think you'll be fine with the 46".

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That's why I never got one of those wall units -- you end up with the tail wagging the dog, and I never wanted furniture to dictate how big my TV is.

40" 16:9 is definitely too small for my tastes unless you're sitting ridiculously close to the TV (

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I completely agree with that. The furniture the TV will be setting on is generally cheaper than the TV. In Consumer's Reports one of the most common complaints TV buyers have is that they regret not getting a larger TV.

In my case it was my wife who helped that situation. I was ready to buy a 50" Sony SXRD and she said the magic words - I'm not sure that is going to be big enough. It took no time at all to change my purchase to the 55".

If you are like me, this is a purchase you hope to keep for several years. Be sure the set is a size you can live with for that time period. Good luck and happy shopping.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have a living room with no tv in it at all. In the "family room" I have free reign to get as big a set as I please. I'm now 13 feet back from a 57" rptv with will be replaced by a 60" sxrd this Thursday, purchased Black Friday for less than any decent 40" flatpanel.

At a 10 foot distance anything under 50" is imho way too small for HD and dvd viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks