Is 4 year extended warranty worth the money?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George Hales, Nov 8, 2001.

1. George Hales

George Hales Auditioning

I bought a 4 year extended guarantee for $300 from Best Buy for my 47" Panny; but I've never had needed to use any warranties in the past for any equipment beyond one year. Any opinions about this out there? Thanks.

2. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

George:
    Davenport? I assume Iowa? I grew in a small town 50 miles north of Davenport. On to HT....
    Yes, a four year warranty for a large item that requires in-home service...by all means it's worth it. My Mits went down and I'm glad I had the warranty.
    You might want to change the title to reflect that you are talking about a warranty for a RPTV and repost it in the Projection TV/HDTV sections to get the most responses...assuming you are wanting prople to specifically address your situation. If you are asking about extended warranties in general, that's a whole another discussion (that is appropriate in the Hardware section).
    Welcome!
    Ron

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I bought the 3 year warrenty for my SD-533 and I hope I never use it, but I'm gald to know it is there. FWIW, the is the only item I have ever purchased and extended warrenty for.
    ------------------
    Dan

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I for one feel that they are justified for the large TVs. They cost a lot, and if there is a malfunction, that too will cost a lot. I've got a 50" Mits and needed to use the warranty last year. On the first trip the guy said he needed to replace a couple of components and it would cost $500. I don't know what the final cost ended up being, as it took the guy a few visits until he found the actual faulty component and replaced it. All the same, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for any of that.