Is 3/4" Standard for Banana Conenctors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobPeck, Nov 25, 2001.

1. BobPeck

BobPeck Agent

From Radio Shack site on their dual-banana conenctor 278-308 "Standard 3/4" spacing. For 12-10 gauge wire, Megacable®. Great fit for speakers with dual banana jacks."
    Is this a standard?
    I got one of these to test for my Outlaw 1050. Works fine. But I cannot connect to the Denon AVR-1602 (spacing is wider) I got for my parents for xmas (and am playing with the DPLII right now [​IMG] )
    Is this a standard or not? Why does Denon not use 3/4" spacing for their binding posts?

2. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    I also bought 'Radio Shack dual-banana conenctor 278-308 "Standard 3/4" spacing' for my system and found out when I got home that they would not fit my 'Denon AVR5800 Receiver'. Atleast I was able to use them with my 'Tannoy speakers', but alas, not for long. When I upgraded my sysstem and got 'Paradigm speakers' the plugs would not fit. So to answer your question, I guess there is no real industry standard, that is unless 'Denon' and 'Paradigm' are just two companies that are not following the industry standard, if there is one, that is.

By the way I did try the 'Radio Shack dual-banana connectors' with several other Receiver and Speaker brands, and they fit just fine.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

3/4" is in fact the standard but due to the fact that some european wall plugs also are at 3/4" spaceing many models have moved away from using the 3/4" spacing for saftey reasons.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    is anything in audio today a true standard? [​IMG]