What's new

Is 200 wpc ok for the JBL S-center (1 Viewer)

johnny..bon

Second Unit
Real Name
John
The JBL S-center is rated for 150 watts max. I was thinking of adding an outboard amp that is rated at 200wpc. Is any one doing this or know if this speaker can handle the extra watts?

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
It will be fine, expecially if you have the speaker set to "Small" on your pre/pro. It is much more dangerous to have an amp with too little power than to have one with too much power.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I agree with Mark... I have an S-Center and have used an Acurus 200 with not a hint of a problem...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Practically impossible to damage a speaker with plenty of power. You don't actually USE the extra watts all the time, they are just there when you need them.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
basically when an underpowered amp is asked to provide a signal it can't instead of producing a nice rouned sine wave to the speaker the tops get cut off which causes the speaker cone to stop moving...which builds up heat and could damage the speakers voice coil. This Link Here goes into a lot more depth on the topic if you care to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks