Is $199 a good price for a JVC D723 DVD-A/DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Just tryin to get some opinions from some you guys on here since audioreview seems to vary quite a bit. Also, does component cables quality differ that much amongst the brands? I mean Monster is like 80 bucks but RCA and others are around $30. Is it all in the pretty cables?

2. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Keir,
    I have owned this player for several months now and am very happy with both progressive video and DVD-A performance. The letterbox re-scaling(auto zoom) is almost worth the price of admission itself. I paid about $250 for mine and considered it a great bargain so for $199 I'd go for it.
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

3. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I paid $360 for my 721 (black version) about 4 months ago. Great player, but no discrete off/on. [​IMG] I would jump all over it at $199 (Audio Advisor still has it for $399 on their webpage.)
    Good luck!

4. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I owned this for a short time, but alas I had to return it since it didn't play some of my discs (I remember Chicken Run in particular), which are fine on my Sony...

5. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't play CDR either--kiss of death to me..

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

$199 is a great price for the JVC XV-D723GD. I know OneCall has been blowing out remaining inventory for this low price. I say that $199 is a great price based on what the 'D723GD used to sell for, however, I don't think it is a very good audio component. Build quality is average and some here have had problems with the player reading DVDs, as one member mentioned here. In addition, JVC has a spotty reputation when it comes to reliability of its DVD players. All in all, I would wait for the Toshiba SD-4700 to come out. It will sell for around $300, but it could be the better component. I'd wait to see how good the '4700 is before getting the JVC. Also, someone on this site mentioned that the Panasonic DVD-RP61 is now out in Canada. There was talk around here that Panasonic had cancelled production of this model, but maybe it will become available in the US. The street price of the 'RP61 is supposed to be $300. I would go with a Panasonic over the JVC.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

7. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Onecall was out of these several weeks ago, or so they told me then.