What's new

Is 1939 overrated? What are some other classic years? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Born Yesterday is not on that list and should be. And Summer Stock and Three Little Words deserve just as much a place on the list as Young Man with a Horn. And don't forget about Disney's Cinderella.
A couple of them were my omission as the list was much longer until I edited it like Cinderella and Summer Stock. Below is a link to the entire 1950 listing on AFI. Born Yesterday had its general release in 1951, so I guess that's why AFI didn't include that title.

http://www.afi.com/members/catalog/SearchResult.aspx?s=&Type=RD&YEAR=1950

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No question, 1950 was a prime year.
It was a prime year as I made some mistakes with omitting a couple of titles during my editing of that long list. Some of my favorite films on that list, as I stated earlier, a great year for film noir and crime films.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
The 30 movies I enjoy most from 1950; maybe not the best of the year (no ALL ABOUT EVE, no BORN YESTERDAY, no THE MEN, but yes, SUNSET BOULEVARD), but the ones I'm especially fond of, in alphabetical order:

ARMORED CAR ROBBERY

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE

THE BARON OF ARIZONA

BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND DAWN

BRANDED

BROKEN ARROW

DEVIL’S DOORWAY

THE FLAME AND THE ARROW

THE FURIES

GUN CRAZY

IN A LONELY PLACE

KANSAS RAIDERS

THE KID FROM TEXAS

KIM

KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE

THE LAWLESS

MYSTERY STREET

NO MAN OF HER OWN

NO WAY OUT

PAID IN FULL

PANIC IN THE STREETS

ROCK ISLAND TRAIL

ROCKETSHIP X-M

SEPTEMBER AFFAIR

711 OCEAN DRIVE

SIDE STREET

SUNSET BOULEVARD

THE TATTOOED STRANGER

WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS

WINCHESTER ’73

Four by Anthony Mann alone! Plus: Billy Wilder, Elia Kazan, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, John Huston, Otto Preminger, Joseph Losey, Nicholas Ray, John Sturges, Joseph H. Lewis, Gordon Douglas, Richard Fleischer. Not a bad lineup, eh?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 30 movies I enjoy most from 1950; maybe not the best of the year (no ALL ABOUT EVE, no BORN YESTERDAY, no THE MEN, but yes, SUNSET BOULEVARD), but the ones I'm especially fond of, in alphabetical order:

ARMORED CAR ROBBERY

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE

THE BARON OF ARIZONA

BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND DAWN

BRANDED

BROKEN ARROW

DEVIL’S DOORWAY

THE FLAME AND THE ARROW

THE FURIES

GUN CRAZY

IN A LONELY PLACE

KANSAS RAIDERS

THE KID FROM TEXAS

KIM

KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE

THE LAWLESS

MYSTERY STREET

NO MAN OF HER OWN

NO WAY OUT

PAID IN FULL

PANIC IN THE STREETS

ROCK ISLAND TRAIL

ROCKETSHIP X-M

SEPTEMBER AFFAIR

711 OCEAN DRIVE

SIDE STREET

SUNSET BOULEVARD

THE TATTOOED STRANGER

WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS

WINCHESTER ’73

Four by Anthony Mann alone! Plus: Billy Wilder, Elia Kazan, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, John Huston, Otto Preminger, Joseph Losey, Nicholas Ray, John Sturges, Joseph H. Lewis, Gordon Douglas, Richard Fleischer. Not a bad lineup, eh?
My 30 such films are the following:

All About Eve
All the King's Men
Ambush
American Guerrilla in the Philippines
The Asphalt Jungle
Battleground
The Breaking Point
Broken Arrow
D.O.A.
Dark City
Devil's Doorway
Dial 1119
The Furies
The Gunfighter
In a Lonely Place
King Solomon's Mines
Night and the City
Rio Grande
Rocky Mountain
Samson and Delilah
Sands of Iwo Jima
711 Ocean Drive
Sunset Blvd.
The Third Man
Twelve O'Clock High
Union Station
Wagon Master
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Whirlpool
Winchester '73

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nice bits of overlap between our two lists. However, some of yours are 1949 releases: ALL THE KING'S MEN (Best Picture Oscar winner for 1949), BATTLEGROUND, THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA and D.O.A.
As I stated in my first post linked below, when I posted this 1950 listing directly from AFI's site in which some of these titles didn't get their general release until 1950, which is why they're listed as 1950 films. With that said, I acknowledged those movies in question were filmed in 1949 and had a limited release late in 1949 in New York, LA or even London, but AFI considers them 1950 films due to their general release date came after 12-31-49.

Yesterday, Eddie Muller stated on Noir Alley TCM that 1950 is the greatest year in film history. That's very debatable to say the least, but the following list take from AFI's site has some really excellent to good films on it. Noting the number of film noirs and crime films that came out in 1950, I can see why a film noir expert like Muller would have such a high opinion of 1950. Some of my favorites that might not be classified as good films too are on this list and I kept them on it. Some of these films were definitely filmed in 1949 and probably had a limited release date in late 1949, but AFI has them listed as 1950 films so perhaps they didn't have their general release until 1950. Anyhow, another great year of cinema. My opinion, of course.:)

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4526982/

Last edited:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
You could make a case for 1968:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Bullitt
Funny Girl
Oliver
Night of the Living Dead
Planet of the Apes
The Lion in Winter
Charly
The Boston Strangler
The Thomas Crown Affair
The Producers
The Party
Rosemary's Baby
Targets
The Subject Was Roses
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Killing of Sister George
The Odd Couple
The Swimmer

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
As I stated in my first post linked below, when I posted this 1950 listing directly from AFI's site in which some of these titles didn't get their general release until 1950, which is why they're listed as 1950 films. With that said, I acknowledged those movies in question were filmed in 1949 and had a limited release late in 1949 in New York, LA or even London, but AFI considers them 1950 films due to their general release date came after 12-31-49.

My bad. I just went straight to your list. I'll read more carefully in the future.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The 30 movies I enjoy most from 1950... in alphabetical order:

BROKEN ARROW
My wife and I just watched our Blu-ray of Broken Arrow last night. It was her first time seeing it and the first time I've seen it in many years. It was quite good, and good looking.

---------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks