Is 16:9 enhanced mode really all that?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I'm going to be getting a 27" TV soon because I've spent so much money so far on my first HT, and it will fit my current entertainment center so I don't have to go and buy a new one. I was wondering if the 27" Sony with 16:9 enhanced mode is worth it or if I should just go with whatever I think looks best. Any thoughts?

2. James D

James D Second Unit

To me, I would find it impossible to live without the 16x9 enhanced mode. The picture quality with this feature is dramatically better to my eyes. Besides the colors being much more vivid, the main thing that I notice is the horizontal line structure of the picture. Without the enhanced feature, I can see very fine horizontal lines running across the screen. With the mode turned on, the picture is rock steady and very smooth. You can do the squeeze trick on other brands, but you must go into the service menu and make a bunch of manual adjustments. It is just a push of a button for the Sony.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I would not buy a TV without 16:9 mode at the touch of a button, or at least achievable with no more than a few tweaks.
    The 16:9 mode only applies to anamorphic DVD's. Without 16:9 mode on the TV, the DVD player will reshape the picture to compensate, but flickering and artifacts, particularly with thin horizontal or nearly horizontal lines such as a venetian blind, is accentuated.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

I agree, this is the very reason I bought the 27" Sony Wega. Watching a DVD in the enhanced mode will spoil you. The image appears more detailed than you would think a mere 30% improvement would make. The horizontal scan lines almost disappear, and the picture is almost film like (but sharper than you will ever experience at the theater).

5. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

It should also be pointed out that having a 16:9 mode available will spare you from the vagaries of the anamorphic downconversion circuit in your DVD player, which will always degrade the picture quality to one degree or another depending upon the type of downconversion utilized by the player.
    THE BOTTOM LINE is that you will not get the most out of your anamorphic DVD's without some kind of 16:9 display.

6. Francois Plouffe

I agree to all of the above. I will add that it make a big difference with slow vertical camera pan. One particular example that come to my mind, is the very begining of Gattaca, in the hall Gattaca, the camera is slowly paning down, on a non 16x9 mode display you see the edges of the recessed ligths moving. It had always bothered me on my previous TV, wich had not the 16x9 mode. With my new Samsung 32" HDTV, with the 16x9 mode, the edges are rock solid.

For sure, there is more revealing scene out there.

On fast moving scene, I have not see many difference yet.

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I too would not buy a 4:3 TV without 16:9 mode.

In fact, I went one better: I bought a 16:9 TV! And yes, it was for DVDs because I was bothered by both the Toshiba "remove every fourth line and fill the screen with shimmering artifacts" method, and the Sony "rock solid but really soft picture" method.

I have never regretted the purchase.

8. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Well, i guess im in the minority [​IMG].
    I wouldnt debate enhanced mode vs. non-enhanced mode when comparing 27" TV's.

9. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

Why not Henry? It is very visible (even on a 27"). It all comes down to viewing distance.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Absolutely it depends on viewing distance. On a 27" TV from 9'-10' away, you're not going to be able to see anything, anyway. But on my old 27" and 32" from a distance of about 5-6 feet, I could totally tell the softness of the Sony 550 downconversion and the jaggies of my old Toshiba 2006. When I tricked them (via service menu) into the squeeze trick, and put my players on 16:9 mode, even my girlfriend could readily see the difference.

11. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

12. Francois Plouffe

Gil D,

13. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Well, when my father purchased a tv, we decided to just get a better, larger tv rather than pay more for an enhanced smaller one [​IMG]

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Another vote for the 16:9-enhanced mode. Once you've been there, even on a 27-inch set, there's no going back.

15. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Even on a 27" TV (such as my bro's Wega), the anamorphic enhancement is noticeable. I recommend finding a television that supports the enhancement.
    I have a 32" FV series WEGA and it automatically detects anamorphic video, compressing the video accordingly. The auto-sensing is a wonderful feature and (as far as I know) exclusive to Sony at this point.
    I won't watch movies any other way if I can help it. [​IMG] In fact, with the exception of some some wonderful films from Fox Lorber and other independent labels, I will not purchase non-anamorphic DVDs. [​IMG]
    Forgive the tangent, but my roomate's old DVD player does not appear have a downconversion chip, as strange as that sounds (and I admit I could either be ignorant or just dead wrong). When he plays my anamorphic DVDs on his television, the image is stretched out beyond belief. And he doesn't mind!!![​IMG] I have pored through the DVD menu and the options on his various components, and I think its just a first generation player.
    Joseph

16. Francois Plouffe

Joseph,

I own a Panasonic first gen player, and it do the proper 4:3 downconversion when set accordingly. I will go out on a limb; I think it is imposible that a manufacturer had released a player without this feature. I even don't think it is a feature, it must be in the DVD standard since the begining.

Do you know what brand it is?

17. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Francois,
    I agree that it's probably impossible for a player to exclude this feature. I think the player is a Pioneer, although I cannot be sure.
    I may have just overlooked a menu option. (Thank goodness) it's not my player, so I try to steer clear of it. Its menu resembles an old ascii based DOS application, it's so archaic. [​IMG]
    As for the roomate thing, it really confuses me as to how someone could watch a film intended for 16:9, instead stretched out and zoomed, on purpose, without being distracted or bothered in any way. Could I then say that I live with a J6P? [​IMG]
    Joseph