Is 1024x1024 considered a good ratio for plasma?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob Varto, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

www.tvauthority.com has some great deals on plasma's and I was wondering if a 1024x1024 ratio will give a "stunning" picture? I currently have a Toshiba TW65X81 which is very nice, but very big. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

ratio? Resolution? Confused...

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Take this with a grain of salt:

I personally am not too fond of ALiS panels. The reason they are 1024x1024 is they are interlaced (1024x512 would be closest progressive equivalent). Remember those old computer monitors back in the early 80's? Yeah, interlaced.

[​IMG]

They have come a long way, and the latest generation gives you a very bright, punchy picture. Their contrast is not as good as the Panasonics, of course, but they are bright. The latest Fujitsu ALiS plasmas are actually pretty good.

Try to go view an ALiS based panel at one of your local electronics shops before you buy if at all possible.

4. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

Nice illustration Gabriel. A picture is worth a thousand words. [​IMG]

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Spend your money on a Panny ED model instead (better black levels, better picture overall, better scaler) rather than an "HD" ALiS panel! There's more to picture quality than # of pixels.