Is 1000 watts too much for AV15?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by LanceEAR, Jan 4, 2004.

1. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

I will be finishing my enclosure within the next week or so and I am still deciding on which amp to use. As this is my first DIY sub I thought the easiest thing to do would be to go sealed: 2.5 ft^3 from stryke's site, even though the extension from a ported design is really tempting to try. Hopefully this will satisfy my bass needs. Otherwise I will build a new enclosure: either the passive radiator or 250L ported design on stryke's site.

So on to the question: Would it be worthwhile to spend the extra money on the parts express 1000 watt amp vs the PE 500 watt amp?

My basic modeling skills with WinISD Pro say 1000 watts will not push the driver past its limits. I know stryke.com lists the driver at 500 watts continuous but from what I've read it can handle more, true?

TIA for any ideas...

2. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I have a stereo 800w/channel crest amp. one side runs my Tumult and the other side runs my AV15. I turn down the gains a little on the Av15 side as i think it is just a little too much juice for it and i don't want to bottom it out. How much power a speaker can take is totally dependant on the chosen alignment. I personally wouldn't feed the Av15 1000w, i think 500 would be a better choice. the only way i would buy a 1000w, is if it was stereo so i could have the option of running dual Av15's (500w/side) in the future.

Craig

3. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

Craig,

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the 500 watt amp but if someone said 'You MUST buy the 1kw amp!' I probably would have since I haven't read about anyone else using it - although I could have missed the post.

Take care.

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I'm running 750W to each of my vented AV15's, I've never bottomed out and they've never seemed strained at any level.

5. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

Did you go with the 250L design from stryke's site? If not what volume and tuning did you choose?

Thanks.

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

You've measured this, or is that just the 'rating' of the power amp?

7. Frank Carter

No I never measured it, it's just the rated power. The amp is a Samson S1500. I chose it mainly because I saw how quiet the fans were with the S1000 I had with my SVS.

8. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i have botomed out my av15 woth 500running to each of them olny on the ring drop sens and that is it. i have a 3 rd in my car sealed in a 2 cube box running 1000+ wats rms. olny thing i am woryed about is overheating the voice coils

9. Frank Carter

I just realized I forgot to mention one key thing, I have a 15Hz subsonic filter to help control cone excursion below the tuning point.

10. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

hehe, that's a major thing.. [​IMG]