Is 10 feet too close for a 55"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ric Easton, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Hi Gang!
    My wife finally gave me permission to get a Widescreen TV. I have to clear out and finish our storage room and turn that into the Home Theater. She did not want this in the living room! Anyway the room is pretty small... the distance from the screen to my eyeballs is gonna be about 9 to 10 feet. I know there are varying opinions on this, but I want the biggest set I can get for that theater experience!
    I have been looking at this Mitsubishi at Tweeters and I think it's pretty sweet.
    They were playing Toy Story 2 on it and it looked great as I stood about 10 feet away. Of course TS2 is probably one of the best looking DVDs there is and the digital to digital transfer sure didn't hurt either.
    What are your opinions on this? Do any of the rest of you sit that close to a 55" widescreen? What sets are you looking at? Should I load up a few other DVDs on that Mitsy?
    Ric

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  3. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

I've got a 55" and I'm about 10ft away from it as well.. Works for me! [​IMG]

4. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

I just got a 57" and the Sony manual says at least 7' for 55"

5. Milt

Milt Auditioning

I have a 55859, and sit just under 10ft, no regrets!, personally I think 65 would be to close.

6. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Thanks Sujeet, James and Milt! I just checked out that other thread, amazing... we're talking about the same TVs! I also like that Viewing distance calculator. Although, I would like it better if it determined the minimum distance as opposed to the maximum. Still it was informative.
    I still think I will play a few of my own DVDs on that set... and I am probably still months away from purchasing it. (Have to finish that room) It's just that when the wife said ok... I can't wait to get started!
    Anyone know if the Mitsy WS55411 is this years model? Also I have heard the strech mode is not the greatest on Mitsubishi's, though this set would be primarily use for movies.
    Ric

7. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

I also sit about 9' away from my Mits 55819. No complaints. I do agree with a previous poster about a 65" set being a bit much. If you have your set ISF calibrated, you will be able to see scan lines, even on the 55", and especially on a 65".

8. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

I'm 10 ft away from my mits 55809, looks great!Go for it...

John

9. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    7' from a Pioneer 53". Love it. If it's too big, that's what I want.

Hanson

10. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Ric,
    Yes, the 55411 is the 2003 model. Any "x11" would be the new models. Have fun!

Matt

11. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

The 55411 is brand new, I think it was released in July or August. I got mine at the end of August and I love it. I'm within 10 feet and I find that to be a very good distance.