Irreversible DVD Canada Extras!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Peter_S, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Peter_S

Peter_S Agent

This one must have slipped under the radar. I just came back from Futureshop and purchased Irreversible released by Alliance. Listed as extras are:

"Intoxication" - a short film by Gaspar Noe
    Documentary about special effects
    Deleted Scene
    Audio Commentary by Gaspar Noe

Does anyone think that I can still return my old Lions Gate copy to Best Buy and complain about the missing special features. Also, does anyone have this yet. I want to make sure the features are really on there before I open it.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I don't think you can return a disc because it doesn't have the special features that a disc produced by a different company offers.

3. Peter_S

Peter_S Agent

Actually the back of the Lions Gate DVD lists the documentary and the deleted scene as an extra feature even though they are not on the DVD itself.

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

In that case, you should have a perfect case to get your money back. Tell BB that the packaging is false-advertising. It lists stuff that isn't on the disc. I returned a disc to my local BB that was listed as OAR but was MAR upon viewing.

5. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

6. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

I'm confused here... has Irreversible been re-released by Alliance with extras or not?

7. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

^ The Alliance version DOES have all the extras listed.

It's the Lions Gate version that had the problem which they are now offering replacement discs for.

8. Jarrod Ferris

The Alliance version has MORE extras than the Lion's Gate version even listed that it had (short film, commentary), and the picture quality is much clearer and the subtitles are much better (crisp white, as oppossed to murky yellow.)

For once Alliance actually delivers a superior version to the American counterpart. I have to give credit where credit is due.

9. Peter_S

Peter_S Agent

Finally broke down and opened this. Yes the extras are there. Unfortunately, the short film has no English subs. The English subs themselves are for closed captioning which makes them a little distracting. As for the transfer, I have no idea if it's the same. If someone has any info on this please let us know.

10. Shawn_Sek

Shawn_Sek Stunt Coordinator

this is the first i have heard of the Irreversible replacement program. what is on the corrected LIONS GATE R1 US copy (not the ALLIANCE)? obviously the making of special effects, but how about the commentary and deleted scenes? and how can you tell the difference in corrected copies in stores? can anyone else confirm that the Alliance DVD is better?

PS- is the commentary subtitled as well?

11. Tom Tsai

Ok, this is what it says on the back of the box concerning the extras:

Short Film - Original French Language Only
    Documentary about Special Effects - French with optional English subtitles
    Deleted Scene - Original French Language Only
    Audio Commentary - French with Optional English subtitles

12. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

I am very conflicted on this.
    I live in Canada and ordered the US (Lion's Gate) version knowing that I'd grow impatient waiting for the Canadian (Alliance release). But now I'm considering getting the Allaince version as well... but there's conflcits:

Lion's Gate (US) version contains:
    The Good
    - PROPER subtitling
    The Bad
    - none of the promised extras

Alliace (Canada) version contains:
    The Good
    - ALL THE EXTRAS AND MORE (commentary) that were supposed to be on the Lion's Gate version
    The Bad
    - IMPROPER subtitling (closed captioning for the hearing impaired only, apparently)

Why must it be so complicated...I suppose I should own both - Lion's Gate for the film and Alliance for the extras/ commentary... ugh.

13. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

14. Jarrod Ferris

I prefer the subtitles on the Canadian version, call me crazy. I own both and the Canadian version is much sharper than the US version. I had them both playing in sync side by side in split screen mode on my widescreen TV.

True, there are no subs on the short film, and the commentary is in french, but subtitled.

I think the Alliance version is far superior, and trust me, I have wanted to detonate Alliance several times over the past year.

15. David Yevin

David Yevin Agent

16. Tom Tsai

There's a link a few posts up in this thread.

17. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Marc - I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, as they say. The closed captioning is on the short film, is it not ? The subs on the main feature are ok. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've ordered this one from amazon.ca because I'd be really interested to hear the comm.
    But I'm a bit pissed off with all this. I waited for ages for the Lion's Gate one and then, when it proved to be a balls-up, I went ahead and bought the R2. A month later, this one appears ; out of the blue as far as I can tell.
    Why was there no previous mention of this release ?

I even downloaded the FX featurette, which took a while on dial-up. I'd recommend it, though, to those who aren't buying the Alliance edition ; there are more digital effects in this film than you might think and their use strikes me as rather innovative.

18. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

For those with the Alliance (or both) DVD, could they please clarify that the subtitles for the main feature film are indeed wrong (i.e closed captioning only - therefore descriptive rather than just dialogue). I realize there will be NO subtitles for the short film, but I'm curious about the movie itself.

Perhaps people are assuming it's closed captioning because the subtitles are in the black blocks with white writting style as opposed to the plain yellow font????
    Also hows the transfer for the Alliance DVD? I'm worried it might just be a port of the French PAL DVD like The Pianist was....
    Thanks.

19. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Thanks David and Tom,
    I think I'll get mine sent off soon, along with the botched JP and BTTF disks I got recently....
    Lots of botch ups going on lately....[​IMG]