Ironic statement on an old LP. The CD was supposed to give perfect sound forever!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jul 17, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

As I was listening to the Charles Mingus Mingus Ah Um SACD tonight (Oh yeaaah! [​IMG]), I perused the booklet for the first time in awhile. On the inside front cover, there is a reproduction of the back cover of the original LP. At the bottom of the back cover of the LP, the following statement appeared:

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Whats funny is(I worked at Tower when cd's were phasing in)
    I said I would only buy a few titles on cd, the ones that were real important. Now I see that in reverse, there are a few titles I must hunt for on vinyl. This being, the supposed ultimate

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Keith,

Did you get my Private Message regarding SACDs? (not related to this topic)

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Keith, you slay me. One thread about Barry Manilow and another on Mingus. We need to indoctrinate some musical snobbery in you. [​IMG]
    Hey, since they both start with M, they don't sit next to each other on the CD rack, do they? [​IMG]
    I would love to hear that album on a good phonograph system, though.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Keith,

That Columbia tag line you mentioned is on my LP of Percy Faith's Greatest Hits as well....can't believe I admit to having that....and the Barry Manilow vinyl....

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marc,
    I just saw your Private Message and replied. Thanks.
    Mike,
    Yeah, I deserve ribbing for the Manilow thing. [​IMG] However, Mingus is some seriously good stuff. Don't worry. The Manilow and Mingus discs are not touching on the shelf. Mantovani comes in between! [​IMG]

7. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth - Mingus Ah Um is my second favorite jazz lp behind Miles Davis Kind of Blue.

I guess it ain't worth much..........

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Alex, the LPs might be worth something. As for your opinion, well.... Just kidding. [​IMG]
    Those are two great albums. I have Kind of Blue on vinyl (and a few other formats), but only have Mingus Ah Um in digital form (CD and SACD).

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

10. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Its a odd situation comparing LPs to CDs. I noticed however that if you get a crack in an LP, you could still play it, albeit an annoying click may occur throughout the recording. But if a crack develops on a CD, you likely have to throw it away. Most likely, a hundred years from now, material on CD may no longer be even readable, but LPs media may still be useable. Who knows?

I suspect many years from now, my LP collection will still be alive and well, can't really say the same for my CD collection.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I am certainly no Mingus expert, at least, not yet. [​IMG] At this point, I only have Mingus Ah Um and the Ken Burns Jazz Mingus compilation. I like everything I have heard thus far.
    For what it's worth, I have never heard anything about Love Supreme coming out on SACD. Have you considered writing Impulse! to see if they have plans to release SACDs? They are not a huge label, so you might get a reply. It wouldn't hurt to tell them that you think they are the greatest label ever. Just don't tell them that you are smarter than everyone else. [​IMG]