Iron Monkey

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh_Hill, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Hey, I saw this on Amazon and its set for March 26th. But I heard somewhere else that it was the 12th. Can someone tell me which date is correct? Also, what extras are to be on the disc?

2. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

Donny -

I am not sure of the release date for the new version, but the unedited, uncut DVD with th eoriginal soundtrack is available from most overseas e-tailers like dddhouse.com and hivizone.com.

If you can play Region 2 DVD's, there is also a PAL version from Hong Kong Legends.

Matt

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I ordered the U.K./region-2 "uncut" DVD & it's very good. Nice 16:9 transfer, decent audio & some interesting extras.

4. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

the hong kong legends version is definitely awesome.

if you can play region 2 PAL discs, don't bother with any other version.

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

2 things...first, this was a damn fine movie and I am looking forward to any DVD version of it.

The second is a bit off the original topic, but has to do with the last two comments. I'm sure this has been covered before, but is there anything I would need to play region 2 PAL discs in addition to a DVD player that can play region 2 discs? Do I need some sort of PAL-to-NTSC converter so that it will display correctly on my TV?

Rumor has it that the simple purchase of a region 2 DVD remote for my Xbox will convert that fine machine into a region 2 DVD player, but I'm not sure if I will need any other hardware to play region 2 PAL DVDs. Can anyone advise?

6. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

7. Matthew Brown

I don't think Woo Ping understands English. If he did, he would know that most of the subtitles in the US version of IRON MONKEY have nothing to do with what is being said by the actors. Those who speak Cantonese are very distracted when watching this version because the subtitles differ so much.

The US release also has an entirely new score. The child in the movie is the same character that Jet Li played in ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA and Jackie Chan played in DRUNKEN MASTER I and II. Wong Fei Hung has his own theme and this is omitted from the US version of IRON MONKEY. There is no reminder that this is the kid that grew up to be a legend himself. It adds another dimension to the story.

The HKL version has the original music and the subtitles are fine.

I have seen Woo Ping's comments but I wonder why they would do test screenings if they planned on letting him do whatever he wanted. I also wonder why they stopped short of calling the US version a Director's Cut if everything was approved.

Matt

8. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

9. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I was blown away by Iron Monkey when I saw it in the theater last year. If Wo Ping himself says the cuts are for the better, who am I to argue? I knew that the kid was a young Wong Fei Hung, they didn't need to spell it out. It's not really important to the story that he turns out to be a mega hero, it's just kind of a bonus. As for the score, well, I liked the new score just fine. I haven't heard the original version. I'll be picking up the Touchstone version, but I might check out the region-free version too. It's a FANTASTIC film either way.

It's similar to what happened to Legend Of Drunken Master. I know changes were made for the North American release, but it's still one of the best movies I've ever seen. Then again, not having seen the original, ignorance is bliss. It will be interesting to see how they change Shaolin Soccer for the NA release.

10. Matthew Brown

I meant no disrespect to Woo Ping over what language he speaks. I do not speak Cantonese but have spoken to people who do and they told me about the subtitles. When I've seen interviews with Woo Ping he has a translator. He would have no idea what changes are being done in regard to subtitles. I am not against clearer translations, but adding elements to a story that didn't exist before changes the movie if it is only done to appease American audiences.

Miramax is very heavy handed when it comes to altering foreign movies. I believe Woo Ping okayed the changes, but I don't believe he initiated them. Miramax test screened IRON MONKEY to to see what they could change.

Matt