What's new

Pre-Order Iron Monkey (1993) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71wmGLhsMyL._SY679_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I wonder if it's sourced from the same re-master that Eureka used back in 2018. If it is, I already have the Eureka edition.

I just looked at the listing at Shout! Factory's site. Since

Bonus Features​

• 2K Restoration From The Original Film Elements
  • Audio: Mandarin 2.0 Stereo DTS-HD Master Audio With A New Subtitle Translation, Cantonese 2.0 Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, Cantonese 5.1 Surround DTS-HD Master Audio, English 2.0 Mono DTS-HD Master Audio English, English 5.1 Surround DTS-HD Master Audio
  • NEW Audio Commentary With Hong Kong Filmmaker And Academic Gilbert Po And Critic Sean Tierney
  • NEW Scoring A Fresh Take – Composer James L. Venable On His Soundtrack For The Original American Release
  • NEW International Iron – Writer Richard Epcar Reflects On Bringing Iron Monkey To The West
  • New From Monkey Business To The Big Time – Film Critic Ricky Baker Discusses The Rise To Stardom Of Donnie Yen
  • Interview With Actor Donnie Yen
  • Interview With Producer Tsui Hark
  • Interview With Actor Yu Rong-Guang
  • Interview With Actor Li Fai
  • Interview With Actor Angie Tsang Sze-Man
  • Iron Fist: A Look Behind The Action Of Iron Monkey With Yuen Cheung-Yan
  • Shadow Boxing With Alex Yip
  • Footage Of Li Fai And Angie Tsang Sze-Man Competing At The 2003 Wushu Championships
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • US TV Spots
  • Still Gallery

Since it doesn't say "New 2K Restoration" I suspect it'll be the same as Eureka's. I'm not sure I'm interested enough in the "new" extras to buy this. The other extras listed are all on the Eureka (and the audio tracks seem to be the same as well).

For those who might only have the 2011 US (Miramax) release, this should be a definite improvement, though.

Last edited:

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Probably my favorite martial arts film of all time. I have some foreign release from 2010 - Fortune Star, Distr. by KAM & Ronson. Has only the trailer as a bonus feature. So I'm way out of the loop on this one. Shout version is a no-brainer for me. Thanks Jerry for the additional info on past US releases in HD.

Last edited:

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
I was lucky enough to first see Iron Monkey (1993) at the cinema back in the 2000s. Likely in 2001 when it debuted at theatres in the US. All I knew about it was a friend's, "You gotta come see this martial arts movie", and remember being caught very off-guard by the fast-paced subtitles, having smoked beforehand. It was like, Oh, we're doing this, okay... I prefer original language, just wasn't expecting it. So that was funny.
I think it was sometime later that I was also seeing Donnie Yen on an international cable channel in the television series, The Kung Fu Master aka Hung Hei Gun (1994). Not the same production value but the series was pretty good and knew how to hook the viewer. I was even recording it to VHS for some co-workers at the time. The show eventually became available on DVD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks