Iron Maiden

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Question for Iron Maiden fans: what do you think of the last few Maiden albums?

I currently have everything from the first album up to Seventh Son. I then skipped over the rest and picked up Brave New World. I love all this stuff, and Dickinson is my favorite metal singer.

I haven't heard No Prayer For the Dying, Fear of the Dark, X Factor, Virtual XI, and the three live albums that came out in the time. I have heard mixed things about them.

I just can't imagine Maiden without Dickinson, though. I do enjoy the first two pre-Dickinson albums, but the difference in Number of the Beast is huge. What's the last guy like?

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I was heavy into maiden .... after the seventh sign album.. kind of lost interest..kind of like with : Metalica,scorpions, jp, van halen and all the other has-beens. I loved the music in the day..and still do.. but I dont like their new stuff..

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Just some random thoughts...

I have always preferred Iron Maiden in their early years. While Dickinson is certainly their best (and defining) vocalist, I enjoyed Paul Dianno as well. What can I say? Wrathchild will always be one of my very favorite songs! Someone I have missed very much is ex-drummer, Clive Burr. Also, Iron Maiden never recorded anything better than The Number of the Beast.

Bruce Dickinson's departure? No Dickinson - no deal!

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I can't say that I'm a big fan of the new stuff. I stopped buying the new albums after Seventh Son. Even that one didn't do much for me. I'm a very big fan of the earlier work and have difficulty picking out my favorite album. Powerslave usually comes to the top but I think that's because the very first concert that I attended was Maiden and Accept on the Powerslave tour. It made an impact.

Objectively speaking, Number of the Beast has to be their best.

5. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Maiden was a band that I always wanted to like... all of my friends liked them and always bragged about them. I could just never get into them though, guess they weren't hard enough for me. I did like several songs off of Seventh Son, but that was about it.

Of course, those are the same friends that made fun of me for being so heavy into Mercyful Fate and King Diamond (the human pipe-organ). "No Presents for Christmas" remains one of the all time funniest metal songs.

6. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Mike,
    No one here has really answered your question, so I will offer my opinions on the four studio albums you mentioned.
    No Prayer For The Dying - This is my least favorite of the Dickinson albums. It does contain some worthwhile tracks though. "Tailgunner", "The Assassin", "Hooks In You" and "Mother Russia" are all great tunes.
    Fear Of The Dark - Many say they sound tired or bored on this one, but I disagree. Many great songs here. Actually I like all the songs with the exception of "Chains Of Misery" and "Weekend Warrior". I would highly recommend you pick it up.
    The X Factor - I like this one a lot. I'm not sure who I would say Blaze Bayley sounds like, but I think he has a good voice. The songs here are a little longer. "Sign Of The Cross", "Lord Of The Flies" and "Blood On The World's Hands" are all excellent. Overall a very good album.
    Virtual XI - By far my least favorite. I would not recommend this one at all. Very disappointing after The X Factor.
    To give you an idea of what Maiden I like I will rank them from best to worst. All my humble opinion of course [​IMG]
    01) Piece Of Mind
    02) Seventh Son...
    03) The Number Of The Beast
    04) Iron Maiden
    05) Powerslave
    06) Brave New World
    07) Fear Of The Dark
    08) The X Factor
    09) Somewhere In Time
    10) Killers
    11) No Prayer For The Dying
    12) Virtual XI
    Since I am not a fan of live albums I cannot offer any opinions on the ones you mentioned.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm not a huge Maiden fan, but liked up to Seventh Son, even though most of the albums before it sounded like formulaic retreads.

Blaze was HORRIBLE on X Factor; Steve Harris was looking for a drinking buddy, not a singer. He is weak, out of tune, and has no presence at all. A huge thumbs down on this one.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I was a casual fan of Maiden back in the day. When the Powerslave tour happened I was in high school. One of my friends called me the night of the concert with 5 people to see the show, six tickets, and no car. My Mom's K-car wagon and some gas was my ticket. I had almost no experience with the band but was open minded, and these guys were punks (Dead Kennedys, Black Flag fans) and the fact that they respected this metal band seemed important.

So I went to the show... And was absolutely and completely blown away by the incredible musicianship (I'm a bass player and Steve Harris is very good) ad theatrics. I bought PowerSlave and Somewhere in Time and really liked them, but my brother Pat got "Seventh Son" and it sounded the same to me, I don't have much patience or interest for musicians that don't grow. I don't want to hear the same thing over and over. So I lost interest. But I still really like those two albums.

9. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Like a few other posters here I stopped buying the new albums after Seventh Son. I was a huge Maiden fan in junior high and in the early part of high school and still know most songs by heart...(Flash of the blade being one of my favorites) I still listen to their old stuff, but just like someone said I lost interest over time same as with Metallica ( I kinda lost interest not long after Cliff Burton died [​IMG] )
    Bruce has one of my favorite metal voices along with Dee Snider from Twisted Sister. I always wonder...how different my life would have been if I cracked down on the books in school instead of drawing pictures of Eddie on my notebooks and quoting H.P. Lovecraft [​IMG]
    Maybe I'll check out some of their newer stuff thanks to this thread.
    Peace,
    Eve

10. Cal S

Cal S Stunt Coordinator

No Prayer is worth a listen.

11. Michael_Harley

Michael_Harley Auditioning

By far, in my opinion, Brave New World ranks as the #2 Maiden album of all time. Piece of Mind being the #1, BNW was recorded with all musicians playing virtually open-air and together. The album not only provides great metal music that is unmistakably MAIDEN but it also demontrates the tightness of the band as a unit. Bringing back Arian Smith is like he never left. They kill! Even the non-metal listener that enjoys musicianship would be impressed. Fear of the Dark is a fun album with a lot of "jam tangents." They go off for minutes at a time exercising their acrobatic skills. Another winner. STAY AWAY from no Rest for the Dying. Its like they wanted to be mainstream. Not a good Maiden album at all.

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I just saw the coolest thing on e-bay: it's a box set that contains all of Iron Maiden's albums from the beginning up until Dickinson left, as well as a biography disc. The whole thing is in a big plastic box shaped liked Eddie's Head. I just bid on it. I'll get it if the price stays reasonable. I couldn't resist. It's just so absurd and silly, befitting of Maiden.

Yeah, Brave New World is pretty solid album. Some weak moments, but I'd rank it as good as Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son.

13. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Maiden is my ultimate favorite band. I can not wait until March 26th, I ordered the new Live In Rio lp box set from Amazon U.K. I will also pick up the CD. Also on the 26th Maiden is re-releasing there 12 studio albums on CD in paper sleeves to resemble vinyl. Each remaster CD will include 2 bonus tracks. I own Eddie's Head as well as Up The Irons box set from Japan. My least favorite Maiden CD's are No Prayer For The Dying & Virtual XI. My favorite is of course Piece Of Mind.

14. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Mike,

I would recommend you try to pick up the reissues from 1995 from Castle Records. Every album through "Fear Of The Dark" had a bonus disc of b-sides. Some great songs here, a couple very cool covers. "Piece Of Mind" contains a killer cover of "Cross Eyed Mary". These are long out of print, but maybe available on e-bay. Well worth looking for.

15. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Brave New World is a very good album. To me it ranks up there with Maiden's best as far as song writing, and for sound quality it is far superior. Most of Maiden's albums sound very very thin with little or no bass. Yeah, I know you can hear Steve's bass playing but there is no big bass sound coming out of the speakers. Brave New World is totally different. Much thicker sound, they must have finally figured out the right way to produce an album.