What's new

Iron Maiden - Live After Death - Dvd (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I've seen a lot of these on ebay and was wondering if they were legitimate releases? Does anyone own one and can comment on the a/v quality? It states it's in 5.1 but I want to make sure if this is worth purchasing.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Maiden never legitimately released this on DVD.

Only official optical format release was on LD waaaay back in the day.

Those go on e-bay for around $200+

Neither the LD, nor the VHS, nor any other official release ever contained a 5.1 mix.

A newer live one "Rock in Rio" ..now that does have a 5.1 mix and a pretty dang good one from the samples I have heard. Currently it is not available on DVD in the US. Not sure when the US DVD will be released because it keeps getting pushed back.. but sometime late August was the latest date that I have heard.

It will also have a DTS 5.1 mix. May want to keep your eye out for it.

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
I have the "Rock in Rio" DVD that you mentioned (on R2)& it has a "full bitrate" DTS as well as DD5.1 & DD2.0
The sound is excellent although the concert filming suffers from the usual problem of being ruined by tons of white light being poured onto the stage (I believe it was broadcast live on TV which might explain this ?)
Steve Harris from the band was involved in re-editing the footage & he obviously likes the "jump from one place to another as fast as you can" type editing (not my cup of tea I'm afraid - I prefer the likes of the Roger Waters DVD where you get to see what's going on!)
At the risk of sounding like I dont like the disk - as I said the sound is gr8 - the set includes only about 3 tracks from "Number of The Beast" which dissappointed me ...
Paul ;)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Maiden always play the same songs over and over, wish they'd mix it up and introduce new ones.

Karl L

Agent
Thats not necessarily true Dharmesh. When I saw them on their last tour with Halford and Queensryche, more than half the cuts they played were from the new album. Some people were booing that, so Bruce called us a bunch of f'ing c'nts. Needless to say the show still rocked!

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I should clarify - They always play the same ole songs from their previous albums. I wish they try stuff like Stranger in a Strange Land and Infinite Dreams. :)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
I wish they try stuff like Stranger in a Strange Land and Infinite Dreams.:)
I entirely agree, as anything from Seventh Son Or Somewhere In Time would blend very well with their new material. However, neither of those are "classic" albums like Number Of The Beast or Piece Of Mind. If they must play only the older songs, how about a few from Powerslave???

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
7th son and Somewhere in Time are classic albums in my book, in my opinion of course. :)
I don't like the fast editing on their concert videos, which is why I'm in 2 minds to get Rock in Rio. I want to see fewer cuts!!!

HankM

Second Unit
Maybe the next tour they will pull old songs back out:

Phantom Of The Opera
Caught Somewhere In Time
Powerslave
Revelations

As for the RIR dvd set, it simply rocks. A very good show although it is the same set I saw in Mansfeld, MA minus Run To The Hills in August of 2000. I have the R2 set, I here it is coming out here Aug. 20th.

I just seen Judas Priest last night. Ripper Owens was amazing although Halford is still the Metal God.

Jonathan Smiles

Auditioning
Tech notes for Rock in Rio.

Rock in Rio has full rate 5.1 DTS from the 48Khz 24bit master and Dolby Digital 5.1 (Dolby Surround compatiable) at 448Kbps (Dialnorm -31dbfs) from the same master.

If you have your system playing at refrence level it has an average SPL of 101dB.

Video was encoded on the 1100 Sony Encoder (the best) from Steve Harris's DigiBeta master.

Standards conversion for the PAL release was done on a Snell & Wilcox Alchemist Phc.

HankM

Second Unit
I just bought a copy of Live After Death on dvd from Ebay. $18.99, I should receive from Brazil at the end of the week.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I for one would really like to get my hands on the upcoming Rock In Rio DVD. It sounds like a winner to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some more Maiden on DVD in the future though. My VHS tapes are getting a little old.

I saw Iron Maiden on 2/14/87 for the "Somewhere On Tour" tour. That was the first "real" concert I went to (I don't normally tell people that my first concert was John Denver in '82 :b ). They absolutely rocked that night playing a lot of material from Somewhere In Time, Powerslave (Rime of the Ancient Mariner kicks ass live), Piece Of Mind, and so on. They immediately became my favorite band and I went nuts buying anything and everything Iron Maiden... ahhh... memories from back in the day.

I also saw them live on 6/8/88 on the Seventh Son tour. Needless to say they played quite a few songs from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. For some reason I have not seem them since. I'll have to check them out again when they come to town the next time.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I've recently noticed a bunch of old metal BOOTLEG DVDs that are said to be Brazilian Imports but just TV Rips or VHS rips.

Do yourself a favor and check the two major Brazilian E-tailers, if they don't have it then the chances are good what you think is a Brazilian DVD is a boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks