Iron Giant Special edition DVD delay

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John KB, Jun 4, 2003.

1. John KB

John KB Second Unit

The Rumor Mill over at The Digital Bits site mentions that the special edition has been delayed from this summer till 2004. Has anyone else heard about this?

2. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I think they've decided to shelve it and release it with Brad Bird's new Pixar film "The Invincibles", which doesn't come out until November 2004. [​IMG]

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

[​IMG]

Horrible.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For a DVD that was supposed to come out last year, this is bad. Isn't this thing pressed already?

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Hell, they could release it now and then re-release it when The Incredibles comes out. That's 15 months apart.

The people who really want this DVD don't need a Pixar film to convince us to buy. We want it now.

7. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

This "releasing a DVD special edition to coincide with a theatrical debut" trend is getting rather annoying.

8. Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth Stunt Coordinator

My kids and I love this movie and I've been torturing the kids by refusing to rent it anymore while I waited for the Special Edition (I must have spent $25 renting it over the last year or so).

Finally, I caved and couldn't take it anymore and I bought the current edition (which looks and sounds great BTW) a few weeks ago.

This news of a delay is too bad, but it makes my decision to consciously double dip easier to bear[​IMG]

The current edition is really pretty good, I'll be getting the SE mainly for the extras anyway.

Cheers.
    J.

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I bought the current one on Ebay about a year ago for $13. I was at first annoyed to find a special edition was coming, but with all the delays I'm sure to have time to get my money's worth out of the current release.

10. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Great.... I just unloaded my copy in anticipation of the special edition! [​IMG]

11. AlexGoodman

AlexGoodman Agent

Warner Home Video lists the special features of the Iron Giant DVD to include commentary from Brad Bird, deleted scenes, etc. that were supposed to be on the special edition. Anyone know if Warner is, by some gift from the celluloid gods, selling the new edition on their site?

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, if it's not in stores it's not in print. They delayed the disc several months ago to my knowlege

13. AlexGoodman

AlexGoodman Agent

Drat. I saw the rumor that it had actually been pressed and was hoping. Guess I'll send an email to Warner to correct their info (sigh)...

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Well, apparently has. Runar from Norway reports over in Regional DVD that it's been released in Korea.

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Delays are just going to happen. I can accept that. What I dislike is when they delay a title X-number months and then release the SAME DAMNED VERSION they were going to release way back when it was originally announced! Like Grease! We had been waiting for that one since 1998 from Paramount, it was held up by music lawsuits, and when it came out like 4 years later, it was the same frickin' video restored transfer they would have put out all those years ago - and no supplementary material to boot! I mean, they make us wait, fine, but make the wait worth it! [​IMG]

16. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Whats wrong with the current Iron Giant? BTW, I bought mine at Blockbuster Video of all places for $9.99 -new-. check it out.

17. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

18. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

19. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter