Iron Giant SE?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Cook, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Brad Cook

Brad Cook Stunt Coordinator

Hey Everyone:
    Is there an Iron Giant SE in the works? I heard a while back that there was, but I haven't seen any new news since. I've considered picking up the current release--I love the film (I actually interviewed the director for an article when it came out) and the current disc looks good--but I might wait for an SE if it has more stuff on it.
    Personally, I think that film is an unrecognized classic that belongs up there with the best animated films of all time. Why it failed at the box office is beyond me; perhaps that idiotic ad with Scorpions music turned off a lot of parents.
    - Brad

2. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

This question has been asked quite a few times but nobody seems to provide any concrete feedback.
    I am looking forward to it but I am hesitant with the whole Pan and Scan Warner Brothers thing.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It failed at the box office because there were no Iron Giant toys in every happy meal.
    I have the current version, which is great. I too have been waiting for the so-called SE version which was supposed to be coming. I heard around the same time that I had heard a SE of Tombstone was coming. Tombstone has just been officially announced so Iron Giant could be just around the corner.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

It will no doubt be P&S only, however, since it's a 'family film.' Do families like butchered movies? Weird logic. Stupid Warner. They must be insane agreeing to a chat with us.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

The advertising campaign, at least in Canada, was non-existent. How does a movie succeed if the studio making it cannot be bothered to promote it. The movie also was not a song and dance comedy, it was a comedy with some drama mixed in. It had a serious side and on this continent for animated films, it is a death sentence.
    ------------------

6. Rain

Rain Producer

This has been one of my favourite animated films for quite some time. Terribly underappreciated.
    I've been holding off on buying it as I heard about the impending SE also. However, now that I think about it and you guys remind me of Warner's "new policy" on reformatting "family films," perhaps I'll just grab what's available now just in case.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
    Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

7. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

8. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

It was so badly marketed for one reason. They did not know what the hell to do with it. A cartoon with no songs? Derr.. what shall we aim this flick at?
    Therefore hardly any toys were made. what little was is now very very hard to come by and now is worth a fortune. I paid $80 for the ultimate Iron Giant. He is about 80 cm tall, talks and eats thimgs, his eyes light up and hogarth stands on his hand CCOOOOOLLlll I an so lucky.
    The film is gorgeous too! Rooll on the s.e!

9. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

It was so badly marketed for one reason. They did not know what the hell to do with it. A cartoon with no songs? Derr.. what shall we aim this flick at?
    Therefore hardly any toys were made. what little was is now very very hard to come by and now is worth a fortune. I paid $80 for the ultimate Iron Giant. He is about 80 cm tall, talks and eats things, his eyes light up and hogarth stands on his hand CCOOOOOLLlll I an so lucky.
    The film is gorgeous too! Rooll on the s.e!

10. Brad Cook

I too was glad to read confirmation straight from WB RE the Iron Giant SE. What concerned me, though, was that they didn't confirm was aspect ratio it would be in. Hopefully Brad Bird will insist on 2.35:1, even though WB may look at it as a "family film" and try to get away with FS only.
    Was it just me, or did WB seem rather flippant in that chat when it came to OAR? Like they only saw a need for it on a case-by-case basis, especially with the "Why do we need widescreen for 1.85:1 comedies?" comment. As if comedies can just be full frame because, ah, who cares anyway. Especially if they're 1.85:1, 'cause it's close enough to 1.33:1 that no one will notice. Hey, it's a comedy! Relax!
    Since the Iron Giant SE is about a year away, I may want to pick up the current release anyway, just in case. Who knows how the DVD market will change between now and then, and how the studios will react.
    - Brad

11. Brad Cook

Sorry--duplicate post.
    [Edited last by Brad Cook on October 17, 2001 at 02:49 PM]