1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

IRL Attendance Friday!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adkins, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Reports from Auto Racing 1 say that there were fewer than 100 people in the stands for Friday's practice in Homestead, while 12,000 showed up in St. Pete last Friday for CART's practice.

Photo

It's also being reported that 10,000 tix have been given away for tomorrow's race.

Jeff

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Wow, that is really sad!

3. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Yeah everything about the IRL is sad IMO.

I'll tune into the IRL race/formation driving event tomorrow for about 5 minutes just to see how many of those 10,000 free ticket holders show up dressed as empty seats.

4. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

There have been a lot of posts regarding lack of attendance for this IRL event and it's functions. But let's not forget where this is...Homestead. It's in the middle of nowhere.

Look at the attendance figures from last year for some of the other events. Many of the events were even sold out.

5. Michael St. Clair

Homestead is 30 miles outside of Miami. In a large market like Miami, that is certainly considered a suburb!

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

7. Michael St. Clair

Poor oval open-wheel attendance in America can not be wholly blamed on a lack of interest in the Indy Racing League. But it can mostly be blamed on the 'split' concocted by idiot grandson Tony George. All open-wheel oval attendance (and viewership) has been shot to hell by his self-serving 'vision'.

Speaking of series created by misguided fatcats, did anybody notice that the Grand Am race at Homestead today had sixteen cars. For a frickin' sportscar race! Time for 'Fran Am' to close shop and give the Daytona 24 to the American Le Mans Series. Hey, but Bill France's nephew won today, so I guess the series serves some purpose. [​IMG]

8. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

OK, so this is obviously an anti-IRL post. Look again at the map. Homestead is close to Miami and....and....NOTHING!

As I said, check attendance figures from other events. Then look at the attendance figures from CART events last year.

I too, was not in favor of the IRL at first. But it opened the door for a lot of people. Now when I look at it, the IRL and Tony George have won. Period.

CART is the one struggling now.

9. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

10. Michael St. Clair

11. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I grew up in Homestead... it was once a thriving and growing community because of the Homestead Air Force base (who almost everyone was employed by).

After Hurricane Andrew, which LEVELED the entire city/base... the government never reestablished it as a full-fledged base (instead it is a reserve base) and everyone moved away with their home insurance money to Broward.

Although my parents moved to Fort Lauderdale in 1987, my dad's business was in Homestead when the hurricane hit and I still remember that day in August of 1992, walking through a FLATTENED city and thinking EVERYONE was dead and my dad's business (cars) being almost completely destroyed. It looked like a nuke had hit the city.)

Homestead has never quite recovered from Andrew and has become a sort of slum... they should have built the track up in Broward County (because personally, when I lived in Fort Lauderdale, I HATED driving down to Homestead because of the Miami traffic)