iRiver USA Announces H3xx Series

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chris-V, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Chris-V

Chris-V Stunt Coordinator

The US website now has info on the H320 and H340. No pricing or availability info, but it does confirm specs and packing. No remote comes with the new players.

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I'm thinking about picking one of these up. Here is where I'm at. I have about 13GB of songs that I've ripped from my own CDs. I also have a bunch of CDs I havent ripped because I quit using MP3s on my system. Why, when its not portable? So now that I want a portable, and I want a true jukebox that stores my whole library, I figure 20GB is too small. So that leaves me with the Creative Zen Xtra 40 or 60GB, the iPod 40GB and the iRiver H340 40GB. Well, the Zen Xtra is large and clunky. The new Creative Zen Touch is pretty sweet, but only comes in 20GB. They may or may not release a bigger version and I have not been able to get ANY info out of them. The iPod is a good option, but I understand that battery life is not significantly better than the 8 hours from the previous generation. Then there is the iRiver. 40GB, 16 hours battery life (more than iPod, less than Zen Touch, same as Zen Xtra). The iPod and iRiver will show up on your PC as a mass storage device without drivers where as with all the creative units you need not only drivers, but also creatives nomad explorer software isntalled to be able to copy files over and use it as storage. Creative products are the cheapest, iRiver and iPod more expensive but each also offers cool features. iRiver is a color screen which isnt a huge necessity, but still nice. Frankly, I wish I could find more info on how this player actually functions. Unlike many manufactures, the have the full manual in PDF on their website, so I'm looking at it now. I'm basically posting to see if anyone has purchased either of the iRiver H3xx units.

3. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

There are now two color iPods: iPod Photo 40 GB ($500), and iPod Photo 60 GB ($600).

4. Chris-V

Chris-V Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the H320 a few weeks ago when my Creative Zen finally died. Overall I've been happy with it, though it's a bit clunky having been used to the Creative interface. Playlist support is very iffy; there are no OTF playlists (so you can't just scan through your library and pick various tracks to play). Iriver has been promising a firmware upgrade to fix this, but it was supposed to be out in October and has seemingly vanished into the ether. The shuffle mode also leaves a great deal to be desired. A fix for that is also supposedly coming.

Depending on how adventuresome you are, the Korean firmware for the H3xx now supports video, so if you flash the current Korean fw, you'll have a stripped down video player as well. The Korean fw is not designed for the US players, so people have encountered some bugs in making the swtich (most notably losing the ability to play DRM files), and the US version fw upgrade is supposedly in the works. The implementation is still somewhat buggy, but it does appear to work.

Overall, I'd recommend the Iriver if you're looking for something to do more than just play music. This player records from any source, acts as a photo wallet, and as I mentioned, has some video support. It also allows you to set all kinds of input and output controls, giving you a great deal of control over customizations. The downside is that Iriver has been notoriously bad at following up its promises with actual product, so be wary of "this is coming soon" promises for any features you're looking for.

If you're looking for something small to carry around a bunch of music and nothing more, it may be worth going with another, smaller, simpler player.

For more insight on the Iriver, check out www.misticriver.net.

Also feel free to PM me with any more specific questions.

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i was reading about the H320 and found a feature that allowed you to upload images directly from a digital camera through usb, and i was ready to buy it based on that feature alone (i want an mp3 player anyway, but that is a fantastic feature), but then i heard that feature is taken out of the US model. any info on that chris? off to misticriver.net to search for the answer there too [​IMG]

CJ

6. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I think you'll find in VERY short order over at misticriver that the feature you are referring to (USBOTG) USB on the go is disabled on US models, on top of which hardly works at all on the version that it is supposed to. Its basically vaporware.