"Irish Travelers"? This is very disturbing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Micah Cohen, Sep 24, 2002.

1. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

2. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Why would this disturb you? Just curious...

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I agree, they normally prefer Mercedes (at least the ones where I lived in Sweden). [​IMG]
    It's an odd group of people with an unusual lifestyle that, no matter what any PC person thinks, from my experience with gypsies, involves a lot of criminal activity, mostly fraud and theft. I don't find it particularly disturbing though, I think the executives at Enron did more damage to society than all the gypsies in the world could ever do... [​IMG]
    Richard Roeper of Chicago Sun-Times has a column about the Irish Travellers today: http://www.suntimes.com/output/roepe...ws-roep24.html
    /Mike

4. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Wasn't there a movie on this subject with Bill Pullman?

As for this woman, it's too bad that she came forward and turned herself in before a private citizen could catch up to her and pull a "Buzz Aldrin." Ka-pow!

5. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

They're a weird bunch, mostly scam artists. In high school a friend of mine worked at a K-Mart in Michigan. They would announce a certain "code green" or something like that over the store PA when a Traveler would enter the store. They are -widely- renowned for their shoplifting prowess. And at first sign of being accused they will yell and scream and raise hell like you can't imagine.

I would bet a lot of money that the woman who got caught beating her 4 year old on video was using the 4 year old as a shoplifting device. And her daughter screwed up the scam, hence the beating in the parking lot.

6. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Sorry about my first post; it was a Toyota Sequoia (Toyota's biggest and nicest sport-ute). Tacoma is the pickup truck.
    Here is a link to an article from the 9/24/02 USA Today about Irish Travelers
    http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/2...4/4474292s.htm
    (Hopefully this link will continue to work. USA Today links seem to move a lot.)

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

No, but close. [​IMG] You're thinking of "Traveller", starring Bill Paxton.
    /Mike

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Weren't they a splinter group of the Irish Rovers? [​IMG]
    What I find more disturbing is the sweeping generalisations in this thread, grounded or not. There is such a thing as being innocent until proven guilty. [​IMG]

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Hmm... the woman did say she was having a bad day because she couldn't return two pairs of jeans for cash. Interesting.

10. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I heard on the radio this morning, she and her husband had quite a rap sheet in like 4 states... what does that have to do with anything?
    Thousands of children are abused everyday, and let me take a wild guess: most fo the abusers are not criminals and most of them are not Irish Travellers... why is the lifestyle of these people an issue? [​IMG]
    Irish Traveler == Child abuser (??!!!) is what the madia wants you to think. That these people might have criminal tendencies is one thing. But it is a loooooooooooooooong way from child abuse.
    --
    Holadem

13. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Huh. I have just been thinking about this. I'm slightly disturbed by the idea -- new to me -- of "criminal groups" running amok in this country. (Now televangelists, etc, have more competition!)

I'm disturbed by the video... It actually shows TWO women with TWO SETS of children getting into the truck, one on the side of the camera and the other on the opposite side -- where is the other woman, who must have seen, through the other open door, the beating being administered? How come we haven't heard from her?

I'm disturbed at the woman's strange disaffected spin in her interviews, which make her come off very badly in my opinion. (Why does her lawyer let her do this, altho he doesn't seem too on-top-of-the-situation either?)

Mostly, I'm disturbed by the idea of "criminal groups" running amok. Is this normal?

MC

14. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

My comment about being proven guilty is in regards to the many prejudicial comments in this thread casting all members of this "Irish Travellers" group as shoplifters and criminals. However, since you bring it up, regardless of the evidence you may see, this woman is still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Her guilt is for a jury to decide.

As for criminals "running amok" - this is news to you? Have you never heard of organised crime? Have you never heard of criminal gangs? Criminals have been running amok in your country ever since it was founded, this is certainly nothing new.

17. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

"Your country"? If this were MY country in a real ownership sense, this nonsense would not be tolerated at all.
    Okay, I know about "organized crime." Mafia, etc. And "gangs," I know about them, too. This just seems weird: itinerant grifters. I mean, an organized group of them that you have to marry into to be a part of.
    In an interview last night (which left me wondering why interviewers don't bother to ask real questions when they have the chance), the woman said: "We're [travelers?] the last people who has no civil rights..." (I wrote it down verbatim because I was so appalled at the bizarre construction of it, along with all the "tooken"s and "I done it"s. But I digress.) So, now we have to add "irish travelers" to "italian mafia"? To me, one is almost legitimate! The other... ?
    Hey, I'm happy that I started a topical and popular thread! Lookit me! [​IMG]
    MC

18. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

19. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer