What's new

Irene Dunne An Appreciation! (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
"Irene Dunne was the sweetest smelling actress I ever worked with, with lips that tasted of spiced cider and gingerbread - like kissing Christmas morning right on the teeth." ~ Cary Grant on Irene Dunne Jimmy Lydon said that he found her cold and distant to work with yet when he saw dailies of her work she was a STAR

One of the few who should have won an Oscar but never did not even an honorary one - her biggest role was in I Remember Mama

Sorry MODs I thought I put in After hours!

1671561696415.png

Attachments

• 1671561651839.png
    1671561651839.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That 1948 battle for the Best Actress Oscar was impossible to call and possibly the most hotly contested one ever because every one of those nominated performances was iconic then AND now! Stanwyck in Sorry Wrong Number, de Havilland in The Snake Pit, Dunne in I Remember Mama, Bergman in Joan of Arc, and eventual winner Jane Wyman in Johnny Belinda.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That 1948 battle for the Best Actress Oscar was impossible to call and possibly the most hotly contested one ever because every one of those nominated performances was iconic then AND now! Stanwyck in Sorry Wrong Number, de Havilland in The Snake Pit, Dunne in I Remember Mama, Bergman in Joan of Arc, and eventual winner Jane Wyman in Johnny Belinda.
Dunne was great in Mama as were the other actresses that year in those films hard to believe Stanwyck NEVER won - Dunne was great in Life With father too the Oscars.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Today is her birthday (1898). One of my favorites. She could do practically anything. Dramas, melodramas, comedies, musical comedies (although she couldn't really dance). And her temperament didn't allow her to delve into noir territory: Dunne as a femme fatale? I can't picture that. Only Stanwyck could do it all.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Today is her birthday (1898). One of my favorites. She could do practically anything. Dramas, melodramas, comedies, musical comedies (although she couldn't really dance). And her temperament didn't allow her to delve into noir territory: Dunne as a femme fatale? I can't picture that. Only Stanwyck could do it all.
Divine intervention? Did not know today was her b'day but she was on my mind - glad we are all showing her love today

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Topper today and thought about how these famous and celebrated actresses of the 1930s like Constance Bennett and Irene Dunne are completely forgotten about today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks