What's new

IR Sensor (1 Viewer)

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to consolidate the IR sensors in my HT so that I only have to worry about pointing my remote at a single "eye". Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as shopping for something like this? I'm not exactly sure what kind of equipment I need, how much it will cost, and what kinds of choices I have in the matter. I'd appreciate any help anyone could offer, thanks.

Brian

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Brian,
You can go crazy with IR emitters. You can even integrate your lighting into your system and go on and on depending on how much you want to spend. Niles and X-10 are big names in this area. I chose a more cost effective method which works great for me. These Radio Shack Pyramids are about $50 and work wonders. I have the small 4" Pyramid transmitter on top of my TV and the receiver is behind a solid cabinet door. For more sophisticated set-ups, try www.smarthome.com or search the HTF for X-10 to see what other people use.
Ralph

Jason Pfeiffer

Auditioning
Brian,

I recently installed IR sensors in my home theater for exactly the same reasons. I simply purchased 2 round micro Ir sensors and installed one at each end of the room in the drywall. The only other equipment needed is an infrared emitter connecting block, power supply, and however many stick on emitters you need. I purchased everything from smarthome.com and the total came to $160.00. Works great!

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the help, guys. My only problem now is that I can't find the IR sensors on any of my equipment, so I dont know where to put the stick on emitters. Eveything else should work great.

Brian

MancusoB

Agent
Xantech makes a lot of IR stuff.
The best place I found to purchase Xantech equipment is Worthington Distribution .
I bought a Hidden Link Kit from them that includes 4 emitters, one receiver, a connecting block, and power supply for about $60.
With this kit, I can set the receiver on top of an entertainment cabinet and control everything installed behind the wooden doors. it works well both with the doors open or closed.

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
I did a search and came across this thread as I need a solution for controlling my components that are now in a well vented (but closed) cabinet. I have a question regarding the set-up, do the emitters get plugged into the actual component itself - or do you just stick the emitter next to the ir sensor on the component and plug it into the connecting block?

How well does this work? Do the emitters need to have a clear path to the ir receiver?

I was actually in a few higher end audio stores this weekend inquiring about a solution - at Harvey (ridiculously over-priced) they quoted my $180 for the Xantech solution, and that was with only 3 emitters!! Thanks for the link to Worthington - saves me big $$$

Pete

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
The way in which you wire up and control your componenets depends on what components you own.
For example, many Sony and Pioneer components have IR inputs on the back, but they require their own system to work, whereas some Denon and Yamaha have similar jacks and can use general IR systems like Xantech.
I have a stereo system that is in a cabinet where I control a Denon receiver, a GE VCR, and a Sony DVD player. I use the "Buffalo" eye (see website below) that I have wired with Cat 5 cable into a Xantech powered distribution block (yes - I drilled a hole in the cabinet for install). From there I use a direct mini-plug into the input in the back of the Denon Receiver, and an IR emitter that I have "stuck" in front of the IR receiver location on the Sony and the GE. The Sony does have an IR port on the back, but it will only work when wired from a Sony Receiver.
Let us know what equipment you have and we can possibly be of more help.
I have purchased alomost all of my IR repeating equipment through this internet store:
http://www.hometech.com/infrared/index.html
The prices are definitely better than retail.
You may be able to find things for cheaper elsewhere if you do an internet search on Xantech or IR Repeater.
Mike

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Mike - thanks for the detailed explanation. Here's my equipment that is in the cabinet:

receiver - Marantz SR7000
dvd - Pioneer DV333
vcr - older Sony model (not sure of model #)

I had noticed on the back of the Marantz that there was an input for an IR remote, which is why I asked the original question.

My concern is - do the emitters need to be able to "see" the IR sensor which would be responding to my remote? The components will be behind closed doors of the cabinet, and the IR sensor will be out in the open (either next to the center speaker, or on top of the TV) - this is really the only option I have.

Thanks again for the help!

Pete

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Pete,
I will get back to you this evening.... (Tuesday) with equipment recommendations. Here you go:
Your best solution would be the XA-291KITRP on this page:
http://www.hometech.com/infrared/rcvrs.html
It would give you everything you need, and a spare emitter for a future expansion of the system. The price is $105 + shipping. That may be more than you had hoped. You might be able to find it for cheaper elsewhere.
OR, you could combine similar items on the website for a total of around $84 + shipping and have to buy a "Y" mini-plug splitter. If you are interested in this I could guide you, but the easiest solution is above.
In general. The receiver would set on top of your cabinet and a wire from it will go to the connecting/power block. The connecting block will have emitters plugged into it that will have wires that lead to about 1/4 round IR emitters that will stick to the componenet in front of it's IR receiving eye. The connecting block will also have a dC power line conencted to it via a small transformer that plugs into any outlet.
To answer your question - the IR receiver would be setting on top of your cabinet and wired to the emitters via the connecting block. The emitters and connecting block would be behind the closed doors of the cabinet. The only piece that is exposed is the receiver and it needs to have a line of sight with your remote.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks