IR repeater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BobR, Feb 21, 2004.

1. BobR

BobR Agent

I just re-arranged my home theater to accomodate a front projector (Sanyo Z2). I now have components in a rack on the right and the projector overhead and behind me. I would like a simple device so I don't have to be aiming all over the place with the remote. It seems like it would just have to sit up front somewhere and turn the siganal around and shoot it back. I have been looking around and all I see are products that convert to RF to go through wall or hardwired units with IR emitters that stick on the components. This seems like way more than I need. Isn't there something that can just turn the IR signal around for me?

Thanks

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    A mirror would be the cheapest [​IMG]

I just bought a Powermid set off eBay for around 44.00 and though my needs weren't as simple as yours, it definitely works well. You don't need to run any wires and given there's no walls to go through in your situation I'm sure it would work even better. Just put the transmitter with the bulk of your equipment and the receiver by your projector. Both will require AC power of course.

3. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I too was wondering about this. I wanted to run av cables from a cable box upstairs to a second tv downstairs and wanted to put some kind of IR repeater system wired between up and down so that I can change channels downstairs. Suggestions?

4. David WS

David WS Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the mirror.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

If your projector is overhead and the gear is beside you you don't need an IR repeater...at least if you remote has a strong IR signal. My pronto has no problem doing exactly that in my room. If you're talking about going though walls though I strong suggest you forget about the powermids and get a hardwired setup from www.smarthome.com I've tried both and while the powermid was cheaper it wasn't nearly as reliable as the hardwired setup.

6. BobR

BobR Agent

Are you saying you just bounce it off the screen? Because that's what I thought might happen but it doesn't seem to work. I'm just using the remote that came with it now but I have an MX-500 coming. Maybe that will work.

7. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Most computer projectors I've worked with are designed to receive the signal this way, having the receptor by the lens to pick up the bounced signal from the screen. I haven't seen it work flawlessly though, usually due to too high of ambient light levels in the room. In your home theater light levels should be fine (assuming you dim them), unless the projector is too far away for the signal to pick up. The MX-500 might do the trick!

BTW, my Powermids have had no problems, but then my setup is pretty simple. Just need to control volume and player when I'm listening in the other room. The signal just has a couple of corners to go around too, no out-and-out expanses of wall.

8. BobR

BobR Agent

I got my MX-500 last night and got it mostly all programmed. I can now operate the projector by just aiming towards the screen. Apparently it was just a power issue. There have been a couple of times when I had to click twice but I probably just have to learn where to point the remote a little better.
    At least I won't have to invest in that mirror now.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Yes i just bounce it off the screen and its never missed a command though the pronto is VERY powerful in this regard.

10. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee

When I'm messing around with my cabling I use a mirror to look behind my equipment. I've always wondered if my friends would give me funny looks if they saw a mirror sitting on my living room coffee table. I suppose as long as it didn't have stray bits of white powder on it [​IMG]