IR Remote Repeater

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Greg_sford, May 16, 2004.

1. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    My HT set up includes a 48-in Mitsubishi HDTV, an H/K 525 AVR, and a Sony progressive scan DVD. The room is arranged so that the AVR and DVD are in a cabinet behind the seating position. I'd like to put in "something" that will allow me to control the cabinet stuff without having to turn and point the remote(s) behind me. The Mitsub will "pick up" the remote signals, and has (I believe) a mini-plug IR output.

How do I get from this output to the AVR/DVD? The equipment came with repeaters, but they are not long enough, and I would prefer to hide any required wiring. I currently have unused CAT5 and coax runs from behind the HDTV to the equipment cabinet. I've seen some of the connecting block hardware at smarthome.com (?), but am confused about the type of wiring/connection to hook everything up.

Also, eventually, I'll be adding a second zone set of speakers, so I'll need to figure that into the mix as well.

Any thoughts or related experiences would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Greg S

2. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I have a Toshibia RPTV and use the IR Blaster (output) of the TV to control my gear in the back of the room.

You will need some IR emmitters (check ebay or smarthome) and some matching mini-plugs male and female (you can find them at ratshack)

I used cat5 to get the signal back to the closet and then split the signal out to two female mini plugs that I pluged the emitters into. Works like a charm!

3. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    Chris (or anyone else), how exactly do you get from the cat5 to the miniplugs? Thanks...