What's new

IR Questions (1 Viewer)

Eric_Robins

Auditioning
I am looking for an innexpensive way to pass IR signals to the inside of a cabinet. I am aware of the "pyramids" from Radio Shack and others, but I would rather not spend $50 to send the IR signal less than three feet. The "pyramids" would be overkill.

Is there an "IR lightpipe" or something I could use over a short distance?

Other than drilling a hole in the cabinet, does anyone have other suggestions?

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

some units (Pioneer for example) include an extender - different shape, plugs into back of a receiver (there should be special jack labelled IR remote). Then you put this receiver on top of cabinet, or in some other innocent looking place.

Chek the units you have if they are ready for such remote IR receivers - then visit RatShack for remote receiver.

What are the units you need to serve ?

_zjt

Eric_Robins

Auditioning
I am particularaly interested in "serving" my Phillips DSR6000 DirecTiVo. I would also like to serve my Sony DVD player, but thats not really important.

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I was running into the same problem you have. My solution was to use a single IR receptor placed outside my a/v closet that is hooked up to an IR distributor that has a stick on emitter attached to each of my pieces of equipment. You just want to make sure that you don't have any remotes that require feedback from you components or this won't work. BTW found most of the stuff I needed at www.smarthome.com

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,
What is the cabinet made of? Doors? etc. I have seen some clear plastics that you could replace the glass with that will pass ir signals. The pyramids are the cheapest route but I have not had much luck with them personally. I picked a Xantech kit from ASI for under $70. Best price I found and great to do business with.
http://store.yahoo.com/asihome/xan29kithidl.html

KevinMcL

Agent
Unsolder the IR eye from the circuit board, and put a length of wire between the baord, and the eye! I did that to control my 2nd receiver (shaker amp), and it works like a charm. It's not as intrusive/difficult as it sounds, and can easily be undone if desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks