What's new

IR Question: IR IN on back of A/V Receiver (1 Viewer)

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

If I were to use a SwitchLinc, which of course has mini-plugs on the back, could I use a cable with mini-plugs on both ends to plug into the back of my receiver that has a IR IN mini recepticle? Is that how it could work or do you have to use stck on emitters? If so, what is the IR IN on the receiver for?

Thanks much,

Tom

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not sure what you’re trying to accomplish here, Tom, especially with the SwithLinc (whatever that is). However, if the jack on the HT receiver is labeled “IR In,” I would automatically assume it is for a remote IR receiver that would allow the HT receiver to be placed behind closed doors or in a remote location (IR emmitters would plug into an "IR Out" jack). You might check the HT receiver’s manual to be sure.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Wayne, what I've seen with most Receivers with IR connectors on them(my experience was with Kenwood), it's so you can use your Receiver to control other pieces of equipment.

Just my experience...not sure what this poster wants, really.

Sam

GregH

Agent
The IR in on components are used for 2 different things:

1. A main piece like the receiver can control all the other pieces of the same brand.

2. Control systems can use these to send IR to individual components without having to run an emitter to the front of the piece plus it eliminates the chance of an IR signal bouncing off a glass door and the chance of a signal not reaching it's destination due to sunlight.

I can't remember all the proprietary names that companies use, but "s-link" on Sony is one. They're all the same thing though.

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I was away for TDay.

2. Control systems can use these to send IR to individual components without having to run an emitter to the front of the piece plus it eliminates the chance of an IR signal bouncing off a glass door and the chance of a signal not reaching it's destination due to sunlight.
This is what I am looking for, this confirms what I thought but the manufactures manual is rather vague on this. It's an older HK AVR-65. I am using it for an amplifier source. My main pre/pro is a Lexicon and I am running the side speaker output from the Lex into the 5.1 inputs on the HK but I need a way to control the power on/off. I could use a stick on emitter but I was always curious about this anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks