What's new

IR Input Connection (1 Viewer)

Jon Koby

Auditioning
How do you use the "IR IN" connection on the back of a receiver? I am specifically referring to the connection on the back of the Onkyo TXSR601 A/V receiver. Do you just use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini jack cord from an IR connecting block emitter? Also, how is this input different from the one that says "Remote Control" with a similar looking mini jack connection?

Please let me know if anyone has experience using these features. Thanks.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I do not know your Onkyo, but your understanding of the purposes of these inputs appears to be correct.

My NAD 762 has them, and I was feeding it with one of the outputs from a Xantec IR connecting block.

I say "was" because while it worked well, the dog got behind the equipment rack, and made a snack of the wiring associated with the Xantec. The power supply was hosed, and when I replaced it and hooked everything back up, I found that while the IR emitters connected to the block still worked, the, direct connect to the 762 did not. I have had the NAD back for repair, and they say the input is good, so at present, I don't know where the problem lies, and am using IR emitters for all control functions.

One additional topic is that certain vendors (Pioneer, in my experience) use a proprietary method of IR control, such that, while they have jacks that are the same size, they do not work when connecting non-Pioneer gear.

Not sure if the Onkyo is proprietary or not.

BGL

Jon Koby

Auditioning
Brian,
Thanks for the response.

Was I correct in assuming the connection is a 3.5mm mini jack from the IR connecting block? If so, is this method any more (or less) reliable than just using an IR flasher?

I think I'm going to try and contact Onkyo support and see if this connection is proprietary to other Onkyo equipment. I also would like to know the difference between "IR IN" and "REMOTE CONTROL".

Thanks again.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Yes a mono cable with a 3.5mm mini plug on each end is what I was using.

Probably no difference in reliability assuming a good quality IR flasher positioned right in front of the IR Receiver, but going to a back panel input would be a lot neater; what with not having all this IR emitters pasted all over the front of your gear.

I suspect that Onkyo is not proprietary, or they would have some fancy name for it.

I would by curious what the difference between IR IN and Remote Control would be. Its possible that the jack labeled RC is an output?

In theory, I can run an connection to my NAD from a connecting block, and then run additional emitters from there to other gear.

BGL

Jason GT

Second Unit
Brian, do you know if you can take the signal from the back of one of these suckers through a mono-miniplug and into a connecting block?

The back connection is normally connected to another IR emitter.

Also, if I can do this, what kind of crap happens if I were to swap the signal and ground on the mono miniplug? :) The plan is to use an IR control into the connecting block provided with an Anthem AVM-30.

Thanks.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I am afraid I am not sure, Jason. The input of my Xantec block actually expects a 3 wire, stereo plug; it provides power to a IR receiver, and gets back the signal. I am not sure if it would accept a signal from the Pyramids or not.

As far as those puppies go, I actually had a pair, and the results were not good in my room.

I was simply trying to go from the top of my TV to my equipment rack several feet to the left, but in a position that made it inconvenient to aim the remote at the rack. However, it performed intermittently at best. In fact, I bought the RS branded versions, and the good folks at RS took them back in exchange for a pair of their own design.

And those worked poorly too. I suspect that there may have some issues in my room, but in any event, I went with the Xantec 1in/4out block, and other than the unfortunate dog incident discussed earlier, they work as advertised.

BGL

Jon Koby

Auditioning
Brian,

I appreciate the help.

It sounds like you've had good success using the Xantech block. Reliability has been a concern of mine because I'll be using this for a whole house audio system with 8 zones of ceiling speakers. I'm intending to use 2 remote IR receiver locations transmitted through CAT5 wire (which I've already run). These would input into the connecting block and on to the equipment using IR flashers. I would like to use macros with each remote to turn the system on with 1 button (receiver ON, CD player ON, CD play, etc.). My concern was that one of the functions would not be transmitted reliably during the sequence and the system would not turn on. Do you think I'll have an issue, or can I expect each signal to pass through cleanly and reliably?

Thanks.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Jon, it appears that your application will exceed my knowledge of these products!

While I do not foresee any issues with macros (I use them myself via my Marantz RC200 MKII), I can't offer any advice given the complexity of your intended system.

I am not sure where you would source Xantec products, but I get mine from a local shop that specializes in custom install work. You might see if there is a shop in your city that handles Xantec, and bend their ear a bit about your planned layout.

If you have not done so already, IIRC, Xantec had a fair amount of tech data available for download. That may provide some answers as well.

Best of luck.

BGL

Jon Koby

Auditioning
Brian,

It's all really more simple than it sounds. I was actually very new to this just a couple months ago. Basically, I'm just trying to confirm that these IR transmission systems, with a connecting block and flashers, are reliable and consistent. Does this system transmit the signal 99% of the time? If not, it could really impact the execution of the system I am using it in. However, I do feel more confident after hearing about your experiences, so thanks for sharing. I'll check out Xantech for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks