What's new

IPTV documentary discs on Idaho (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's really odd to me...many public television stations produce their own documentary shows which they sell on DVDs, but only certain ones ever are released as "official" PBS DVDs.

In this case I was looking for a documentary film I could send to some of my friends to give a brief overview of what the state of Idaho looks like. Two DVDs looked about right, so I purchased review copies.

The first is "Idaho: An Aerial Tapestry". The second is "Idaho Edens". Both are only available directly from Idaho Public Television's store at http://www.idptvsecure.org/Merchant2...vc?Screen=SFNT

You will notice that almost no technical specifications are shown at the website. All that is stated is that these are 60 minute documentaries, and that "All DVD's are DVD-R. DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs." Even the cover artwork is missing from the website.

Once I received my discs, both in standard keepcases, I was still mystified in that no technical specs were present here either. No indication of whether they were widescreen, 16:9 enhanced, or audio options. I had to determine this by watching the films.

It was difficult to determine the aspect ratios and widescreen encoding on the discs. AAT has no human close-ups but does show a map of the northwestern US. By comparing the height vs. the width of various states on the video vs. a paper atlas, I was able to feel comfortable that AAT is widescreen. Few maps appear on Edens but there are several “talking head” segments and again it appears Eden is widescreen.

I set my DVD drive to 16:9 (which it always is) but the monitor to 4:3. This makes 16:9 encoded discs show up full-height whereas non-16:9 discs show up as windowboxed. The AAT DVD appears to be recorded in 16:9 enhanced video, whereas Eden appears to be letterbox non-16:9. Both have an aspect ratio of roughly 1.85:1 (exactly 16:9). Both have audio encoded as DD 1.0.

You can look at the surface of a DVD-R and see how much of the disc has been consumed with video. In both AAT and Edens, only a little less than half the disc’s surface has been used…they could have cut the compression by half and used up the whole disc at no extra cost. Both discs have a lot of what I believe is referred to as “mosquito noise” which would have been attenuated by careful mastering – and using the whole DVD-R’s surface. I would guess that the mastering was done by the lazy method of “set the compression once and go to lunch”.

Idaho PTV shows these programs on occasion on their HDTV channel, so I’ll have to watch and see how much improvement could be made. AAT was copyright 1999 and Edens in 2001, and since both are widescreen I’d think they were shot with a HD video camera.

Now as to program content…..

Idaho: An Aerial Tapestry is 100% footage shot by cameras mounted in helicopters. It covers the sights of the state starting in the SE corner, moving on to the SW corner, the center of the state, and finally the northern panhandle. The pilots appear to be quite brave as they skim the water going up numerous river canyons. The background score is dramatic but no overdone. The narrator gets a little too “poetic” on occasion but is acceptable. There are subtitles for many of the sights which helps cut down on the amount of narration. The only really cheesy part is the ending, where some ditzy folksinger thinks she’s being profound.

Idaho Edens mixes some aerial shots (mostly rehash of footage from AAT) with some “artistic” close-ups and some talking-head interview segments. Neither of these last two enhanced the films for me. The “artistic” close-ups of a flower, a cute squirrel, dew dripping from a fern leaf, etc. get cloying after a while….the talking heads gush on about how great the scenery is.

So I would recommend people wanting a quick overview of Idaho to go with the AAT disc. The program content is better and it’s 16:9 enhanced.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Having seen some of the pictures you have posted of the scenic views in Idaho, Dennis...I bet there is some beautiful video on those discs--especially since you think it was shot in HD.

On the Planet Earth DVD set there is a special feature which showed how the BBC production crew was able to get some incredible helicopter shots using a 260-degree swivel HD camera mounted to the bottom of the copter. I don't know if the folks which put together these sets had the same type of gadget...but the shots on Planet Earth were jaw-dropping.

Did you think the discs captured-well the majesty of the area?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I think AAT did a better job....

I'm going to see if I can negotiate a bulk purchase of several copies. Plus see if they will let me pick them up in person, as their office is only a few miles away. They want SIX BUCKS for shipping the first disc. :eek: :angry: . I may have to mail some off myself....maybe as far away as Amsterdam if you get my drift.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Upon reflection...

I think AAT does as well as could be expected, although I could make several improvements.

First of all, Shoshone Falls - taller than Niagara - was photographed late in the season in a drought year. You see the bed of the falls but there's water cascading over only about a third of the width. They should have edited in the scene from another year...like maybe 2006. :rolleyes

The narrator says that Coeur d'Alene is one of the 5 most beautiful lakes in the world. This is hokey...he should have said "in 19xx, National Geographic magazine ranked Coeur d'Alene as one of the 5 most beautiful lakes in the country."

EDIT The narrator says that the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness is the largest wilderness area in the lower 48. Actually it comes in second behind Death Valley wilderness area. Similarly, the narrator states that the Idaho batholith is larger than some states. He should have named some. At 15,400 square miles, the Frank is bigger than Maryland (12,297), Massachusetts (9.241), New Hampshire (9,238), etc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
River of No Return seems like a much better name than one including Frank Church -- although I'm sure he had an influential hand in preserving the area.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Yeah it's somehow inappropriate to name portions of the country after mere politicians. Can you imagine the Teddy Roosevelt Yellowstone National Park? Or the John Muir Yosemite National Park? Or the Dianne Feinstein Marin Headlands National Preserve? It's bad enough that they name sports complexes after corporations these days.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
AAT was copyright in 1999 so the shots of downtown Boise are out of date. About half the skyline of the city dates from post that date.

I went over to the local public TV office and purchased a few extra copies. The woman there said she thought the discs were region 1 encoded but she wasn't sure. They may be region 0 for all I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks