What's new

Ipod Users - Help With Itunes Install (1 Viewer)

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if anyone can help out, but I figured I'd give it a shot as I'm not getting any answers from the Apple site.

I just got an Ipod Mini and I am having an impossible time installing Itunes on my laptop via the install CD. Every time the install gets to the point where it's installing the latest version of Quicktime, it just hangs. I have to reboot the PC. I've uninstalled and tried to reinstall the software 3 times and keep running into the same problem.

This is really frustrating me, as there are no errors. It's as if the install just quits on it's own. I looked at the Task Manager to see if the app was still running, and it shows that it is, but it's not doing anything (I/O reads & writes are static).

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro, Service Pack 4, on an IBM laptop (1Ghz Processor, 256 Ram, 40 GB Hard Drive).

Any thoughts? I've checked the Apple website and there is almost no information. I'm at the point now where if I don't get the answer, I'm going to return the Ipod.

I really appreciate any help, answers, suggestions.

Thanks,

Pete

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Do you already have a version of QuickTime on your computer? If so, try to uninstall it first and then do the install.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Yes, try the last suggestion, but also try and download the latest quicktime from the web and install that one instead.

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I do, older version. I'll try to uninstall it first (although in the past, running the install with an older version on the PC never had any problems with the install, it would basically upgrade the software to the newer version).

I'll try that tonight and see if it works. Thanks for the quick response.

Pete

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Also, if you don't need the music store, try using something other than iTunes. I have owned 3 ipods, love them to death, but have never used itunes to manage my collection on my ipod.

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Vince - any recommendations as to what works well? I've used Musicmatch with my old Rio MP3 player and it was ok - nothing special.

Pete

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Here's a link to several iPod music managers and different types of software. The more noteable music managers are Ephpod, Music Center and X-Play. Redchair Software's Anapod isn't bad either. I bought a licence for their Notmad Explorer back when I used a Creative Nomad Zen. Their support system is great and you also get free lifetime upgrades. I also used to be a big Musicmatch "backer"...not anymore since I bought an iPod. Musicmatch is one of the most unfriendly, bloated and cryptic pieces of software that I've used in a while. I'm sticking with iTunes, mainly because it's free.:b

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
You can download iTunes 4.6 from apple.com now which was released today. Perhaps the downloaded installer will work better for you than the one on your CD.

Are you connected to the net when it is installing? It may just be trying to verify that QT on the CD is the latest edition prior to install and/or download components.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Ephpod is what i use. It's not as "automatic" as iTunes, but I like to be able to manuall control how things work- and Ephpod lefts me load the material by song, directory, playlist - and only what I want in my player goes in. It's much more "hands on" control for folks like me who don't like programs moving or changing files without my specific instructions.

-Vince

Matt`G

Agent
I recently installed iTunes for Windows on a friend's computer. Let me tell ya, it was a bit frustrating! Personally I wasn't impressed with the program... many times it would start eating cycles like crazy for no apparent reason (maybe probing USB?), but that's a topic for a different post. Anyway, my only real gripe on the setup was that when it prompted that a software update was available, and I downloaded (started from within iTunes), iTunes never closed itself or anything before starting the new version install. I installed it on two computers, and both had the same problem... the install basically got caught up on itself, wanted to force the old version to close in order to finish installing... but the old version appeared to be hung and would not close gracefully. So I just aborted, used control panel to remove previous version of iTunes, and simply installed the one that it downloaded. Worked great after that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks