What's new

ipod question (1 Viewer)

Mike Maslo

Auditioning
can somome please help me out, i really wanna buy this thing, but i'm a little confused about a few things. i want to use this device for the sole purpose of listening to my itunes library on my comp through my home stereo. do u need a wireless network in your home for this to work? i have standard dsl hooked up to my comp, i have no wireless network. would this product work for me in the way i want to use it without a wireless router? thank you for taking the time to read, please email me at teddyhart23 AT hotmail.com if you can help.

regards

Mary Anne Maslo

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure I fully understand your question but here are few things.

- I don't think you would need an iPod But, the iPod comes with a standard mini-headphone jack. A local radio shack-type store will carry a converter that goes from mini-RCA to stereo phono that will plug into any stereo receiver.

- That same converter, with a long enough cable, can take the sound from your computer's soundcard and send it to your stereo.

- I've seen ad copy for a plug goes into the bottom socket on the iPod that normally recharges the battery while connecting your iPod to your music library on the computer. This after-market device is "said" to output better fidelity sound than the headphone jack. No personal experience with product.

Hope that helps.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
If all you want to do is listen to your iTunes library on your home stereo you do not need an iPod. What you need is either a Roku SoundBridge or a SqueezeBox. I have a Soundbridge installed that talks to my iTunes server (presently running on my laptop) and serves up any song I want to the in-wall speakers installed in my livingroom. I wrote up a thread on the install process for mine if you want to learn more about the SoundBridges. That review is available here and there's another here and yet another here.

Phil_L

Second Unit
Even if you just want to listen to your ITunes library at home, and IPod might be a good purchase. It will give you the option of taking your music with you, in the car, the gym, etc.

I just broke down and traded in my old Mini-Disc player for a Nano. I use it mostly at the gym but just bought a very cheap mini to mini cable that I used to listen to the IPod through my Bose wave radio in the bedroom.

I like Andrew's idea, however, of using a music server set-up. But my wireless network is rather unreliable in this old, solid as a rock, brick house. Also, I would probably not have the first clue as to how to set it all up.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

Phil its actually very easy to install and you don't have to go wireless if you don't want. I have mine running in wired mode since my notebooks firewall/antivirus software doesn't play well with iTunes. That should change once I get the iTunes server up and running but that's a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks