Ipod question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Reid K, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if I put songs on this at a CD quality (128 I believe), and wired it into my reciever (just out of the head phone jack) how comprable would this be to a cheap CD deck connected to my reciever through an optical cable?

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I connected my Rio MP3 player to my home stereo and it worked but it sounded like it was playing in a tin can for some reason.

BTW, I don't think 128 bitrate is CD quality. I don't think you can get CD quality from any mp3 recording. Some people say you can, but in my experience the CD always sounds better than the MP3 version. Although you can get it to sound close.

3. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

Reid, not sure I follow you here, but I don't think plugging the iPod into the headphone jack will send audio through the receiver. Or do you simple mean plugging through a audio jack & listening with headphones on the receiver?

Anyway from my experience, & agreeing with Ken here 128 kbs mp3s are not even close to cd quality on a solid audio set up. Encoding at a higher bit rate does help. 192 at least, but I generally go with a Lame VBR preset. I ran my iPod through my home rig, through the speakers, & the sound quality was not even close to what I was used to playing cds on my system. Listenable yes, but not cd quality. Now I didn't try listening through headphone jack on the receiver.

I tell you what does sound pretty damn good. I ran my iPod through a MG-Head tube amp using a set of Sennheiser 600 phones, & WOW!

Todd

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I rip my tracks with CDex at a 160-256k VBR and I can barely tell a difference (there are subtle differences still) with mine. You are throwing away information, which is why MP3's can NEVER sound like the original uncompressed CD or WAV file.

5. David C Lin

David C Lin Stunt Coordinator

I rip my CD to mp3 at 128kbps and play it on my iPod. It sounds fine. I've never tried to connect iPod to my home stereo system so I don't know how well it'll sound.

6. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i actually do most of my music listening from my computers digital out to my reciever since i am in a dorm room. its more convenient to play a lot of different stuff and all my cds are ripped 192kbps using lame. being in a dorm room i generally am sitting 90 degress from my stereo speakers so i just use 7 channel stereo.

ill be the first to admit that i have young ears and a lower end system (jbl N-series), but i really cant tell too much of a difference between cds and 192kbps mp3s. i guess it could also be that most of the music i listen to is either guitars with a lot of effects and such (and therefore not sounding very natural) or electronic in nature so that may blur the differences.

also, kind of interestingly, i am between motherboards and so i have my ipod hooked up to my reciever (headphone jack to stereo RCA jacks) and am listening to the postal service as i type. i have to believe that this has to be comparable to a cheapo cd player (assuming our ideas of cheapo are the same).

7. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Okay sorry for the confusion I got this cable it has a headphone jack on one end, and a left, and right audio cable on the other. See I wanted a CD player so I can listen to music, and play some xbox at the sametime (no other stereo thing down stairs). So if I did use the ipod in this manner would the sound still be pretty good?

8. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

so you wont be using this for any critical listening? just for background music while playing xbox?

if thats the case then i dont think you will be disappointed.

9. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

It sounds okay. 128k mp3s sound blah to me, though. I got the stand with mine so I plug it in that way.