iPod Photo, iPod mini get upgrades...and downgrades.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Lawson, Feb 23, 2005.

1. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Apple just lowered the price of the 4 GB iPod mini to $199 and added a 6 GB model for $249. It looks like the color of the blue model has been tweaked, and battery life is now an estimated 18 hours. Gone are the gold model and the bundled FireWire cable and AC adapter.

http://www.apple.com/ipodmini/

The price of the 60 GB iPod Photo also dropped to $449, and the 40 GB model was replaced by a $349 30 GB model. Battery life has also been improved, up to an estimated 15 hours.

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/

The improved battery life of the mini has me considering the upgrade. I can probably sell my current mini for about the same price on eBay, and still hang onto the FireWire cable and AC adapter.

2. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

I still haven't bought my first ipod yet so all these announcements affect me. For a month, I've settled on the 20GB ipod but hey, I know the moment I buy that, they'll announce the 5g ipod.

These mini ipod are attractive but 6gb for $250 while the 20gb for $300? Yes, it's smaller and more attractive but at the end of the day, it's all about the music for me.

What's a guy to do with all the announcement and to be announcements. If Apple will just slow down, someone like me will actually start purchasing [​IMG].

Any thoughts for buyers like me?

3. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

How's about a DELL DJ 20 or 30? [​IMG] I bought a DJ 20 (20GB model) two weeks ago for under $225 with free shipping and Belkin TuneCast Mobile FM Transmitter) and I'm very happy with my purchase. It may not have the range of accessories that the iPod does, but if you want an MP3 player with very good sound quality*, the DJ 20 may be worth considering.

(* with the right pair of headphones; the included DELL-branded earbuds in the package are subpar, one of the few cons)

4. DustinLC

I'm sorry. I'm a huge Apple person and wouldn't consider anything else [​IMG].

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Yeah, but you can now upgrade the firmware and hand off the USB2 cable to an unsuspecting ebay buyer and get yourself a new Mini with more battery, more capacity and more warranty for not much more if you order before they're scarce again. [​IMG]

6. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I recall that the 1st round of iPod Photos stated battery specs of 15 hours (to handle the color screens).

Strange about the discarded FireWire cable. I always thought of Apple & FireWire together. Now they include a standard USB 2.0 cable instead of FireWire...and no AC adapter.

So if you're stuck with an iMac without USB 2.0 (which there are a lot), and don't have a FW cable, you won't be able to charge out of the box?

7. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson

You can charge via USB 1.1, something I just learned today. I had never thought to try it.

I don't particularly like that they're (seemingly) targeting the Windows market by only including a USB2 cable. The lack of an AC adapter is annoying, too, but it does explain the introduction of the USB AC adapter a few days ago. iPodLounge was wondering why you would need one, since they were only looking at it as an iPod Shuffle accessory. Well, now we know.

8. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I don't think I'll get another large iPod until it can hold all my music at 256K AAC or preferably lossless. It's just harder to decide what to put in 20, 40, or 60GB than it is in 4GB. The mini is the perfect physical size and if I ever have issues with skipping I'll pick up a shuffle for exercise. The mini is the perfect size for me.

The benefits of the large iPods are now for Photo offloading, long trips without laptop, students wanting to run their OS on University computers, etc.

9. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I'd like to try out my first iPod, but now I'm getting confused about transferring songs & charging vs. necessary cables.

If I get a mini, I'd connect to my iMac G4 flatpanel. The new mini doesn't ship with a firewire cable but usb 2.0. I've got a firewire cable (6 pin to 6 pin & 6 pin to 4 pin). Can I use that to connect directly from my iMac to the mini to transfer files? Plus I could power up with the firewire cable too, right?

Because with the usb 2.0 cable included, even though I may power up using my usb 1.x port on my iMac, there's no practical way I'd be able to transfer even the mini's 6 gb limit over usb without great hassle.

10. DustinLC

Yeah, I guess the 20g ipod wouldn't be very comparable in your pocket.

Now that the mini goes up to 6g and has improvements, I think I'm really considering it now.

I think if I get the 20g ipod now, I'm going to feel like crap if the new ipod is either cheaper, have better battery life or better features. I will just feel cheated. Just like all those people who got the mini during xmas.

If I get the mini, at least I won't feel cheated until a bit later [​IMG].

11. Bob_james

Bob_james Extra

I got the 20 and love it. I just wished it came with FM radio installed in it

12. SteveLa

SteveLa Stunt Coordinator

No. The standard 6/6 and 6/4 FireWire cables will not work. You'd have to spring for a FireWire cable that used to come with the Mini...a 6-pin plug at one end and a dock connector at the other. Those cost $19 from apple, though they can be found for less elsewhere. And I'd agree with the people praising the Mini's diminutive physical dimensions. It makes a huge difference for people with an active lifestyle. I use my at the health club every time I go. I don't even use my 20GB model anymore.

13. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

There's a third-party adapter that has a Dock connector on one side, and a 6-pin FireWire socket on the other. If you have one of those, you can use any standard 6-to-6-pin cable. But the adapter costs as much as Apple's cable!

14. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

So according to this article, as an iMac (G4 flat-panel) owner, I cannot charge or transfer files out-of-box.

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Nope. Just get this, and you'll be fine.

16. SteveLa

SteveLa Stunt Coordinator

Peter, the USB 1.1 ports on your iMac carry power, so you could still charge it. Still, the FireWire cable is a worthwhile investment. Your file transfer speeds will be much greater.

17. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

No. The socket on the back of the Dock and on the bottom of the iPod are the same. You can plug Apple's "FireWire-to-Dock-connector" cable directly into the iPod.

18. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Thanks for the clarification on the firewire cable! Now I'm faced with the same dilemna of choosing something with such a diminutive profile or opting for the larger storage volume and color screens.

I might need to actually go to an Apple store to get the full tactile experience in order to make up my mind.

19. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Just bought the iPod Photo 60 Gb model. (I don't want to run out of space anytime soon). I love it so far. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Scott L

Scott L Producer

nice ipod jeff, bet you'll never run out of space now haha. I picked up the 30gb photo a couple of weeks ago and notice the battery life is much better than my 4th gen 40gb.

Now all they need is cell phone capability, OTA HD signal decoding, and maybe even videogames.. all in a device small enough to fit on a watch. I predict this model will be available in a couple of months. [​IMG]