What's new

iPod or Nomad Zen? (1 Viewer)

JoshR

Agent
Between the iPod and the Zen NX, I think I would pay the extra dough for the iPod. For the touch-jogwheel and buttons, the size, the weight, the interface, and the aesthetics/coolness factor. iPod wins hand down, ruler supreme of all HD based MP3 players, in the categories of navigation, form factor, and coolness. And those are the most important categories IMHO.

I don't think it's fair to judge any HD player by it's performance during high-impact activities. It's a hard drive. For running, you really need a flash player.

Only reason I don't have an iPod right now is that I'm picky. The iPod still lacks in two big areas and it's enough to be a dealkiller for me. Mainly, the nonreplacable battery, and the lack of an FM tuner and voice recording/line-in recording. These are features the current gen of iPods have no excuse to be lacking, when they're popping up on all the other HD players coming out.

Still, NO mp3 player does those things and still holds up to the iPod in the other areas. The new iRiver HD-100 looks like a contender, though. And that is very likely the player I will get for myself when it's available for more than 8 seconds in stores here.

EDIT:Sorry if this post went on a tangent, I just feel that any iPod vs. Zen discussion benefits from a quick look at other possibilities. This new iRiver guy looks extremely promising.

It doesn't have to be though. You can use the .aiff/.wav files if you choose.
Yep, that's why I said "in many cases". Although it's possible, I don't know anyone that uses uncompressed audio in their mp3 players, HD or otherwise.

I rip with AAC in QT Pro set to "best quality". There is a noticeable improvement in sound quality over mp3, IMO. It does take longer to rip however. In most cases, I prefered the 128 kb/s AAC over 160 or 192 kb/s mp3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks