What's new

iPod or Nomad Zen? (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
A very close friend of mine is a big music fan ... his brother recently convinced him to shell out $400 for the 15GB iPod.

One of the main reasons he bought the iPod was for running. He goes 30-45 min several times per week. As with most serious runners, once he starts, he doesn't want to break his pace for anything.

Here's the big rub ... the iPod uses a 32MB flash memory for anti-skip protection. The hard drive wont "reload" the flash memory if it senses vibration or excessive "movement" (such as impact from running). So the iPod quits everytime about 20 minutes into the run. Now I know all the iPod fanatics out ther are going to say this is no big deal, you just have to stop or walk for a minute to give the iPod a chance to "reload" the flash memory, but for a serious runner, this is a big deal.

I say the iPod needs a bigger flash memory, at least 128MB. Thats not really too much to ask for such a pricey player.

I've not really looked into the Zen, but now I'm curious ... can anyone speculate if it would suffer the same problem as the iPod, or does it have a larger internal flash memory?

UPDATE: Nomad Zen specs say it has 16MB SDRAM ... looks to me like the problem is even worse ... comments?

Scott

I can't imagine the bargain basement Zen being better than the iPod in this regard. If they put in 128MB (overkill IMO) then you will start getting the marathon runners complaining.

Every product (in fact everything!) has it's pro's and con's. The iPod's problems when running are fairly well documented on the web, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that it has problems for runners.

Either:

1) let the iPod fill it's buffer periodically by walking tempoararily, or

2) use a flash based mp3 player for runs, or

3) run less.

It's an unfortunate side effect of HD based mp3 players, but it doesn't affect many users.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
it is easily $100 more than it has to be. When you see what the Jukebox and Zen offers, I don't see where they can justify the price difference
The Jukebox and the Zen both "offer" a considerably larger form factor, right?

There's a reason why the iPod is so small. It uses a 1.8" hard drive, and is well-miniaturized. I'm pretty sure the 1.8" hard drives cost more, byte-for-byte, than the laptop (2.5") drives you find in other MP3 portables.

Then, as many people have mentioned before, the whole iPod + iTunes + powered FireWire system works very nicely. I'm not surprised that they want to make a little money off of offering the BEST hard-disk-based player on the market.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well I ordered a 15Gb Ipod, I cant wait to get it, should be here by next thursday at the latest.

By the way, I dont have a USB 2.0 or Firewire on my computer, so I need to get a USB2.0? or will it still work although slower over my normal USB?

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
John-M,
I believe you'll need USB 2.0 or Firewire. Cards are pretty inexpensive, and there are some combo cards as well from what I recall. I think it needs to be the 6 pin firewire connector, but don't know for sure.
iPod specs
BTW, check out ipodlounge.com for a wealth of info on the ipod. There's probably a better answer to your questions there.
You'll be rockin' soon.
Jim

Mark_Ken

Auditioning
Good choice. The only regret I have is that I didn't get the 30GB version, I have the 15GB version. It has changed the way I listen to music. 2,500+ songs on a device the size of a deck of cards.

The iPod is hands down the best MP3 player on the market and is worth every penny I spent on it.

sonny_b

Agent
As a 30GB iPod owner I can attest that this is the most well thought out MP3 player out today. I currently have 5500+ songs on it now and I still have about 500mb free. Ephpod is definately the way to go until they release an iTunes version for windows. The only complaint I have is that I have to recharge it every other day. I get about 6-7 hours per full charge.

-sonny

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Just to add another opinion, my wife bought one of the original 5Gb iPods and it's been a great player--she uses it every day at work and we take it along on road trips listening through the car stereo. And I think the new models are even nicer....worth the extra $$$, IMHO.

Mark_Ken

Auditioning
One more thing with the iPod. Don't use MusicMatch. The best program on the market right now it Media Center 9.
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/

This is an All-in-One program that's top notch. It works better then any other jukebox program I've ever used. Also it's the fastest syncing iPod tool for windows. Well worth the $40.

BTW, I used MMJB for 4 years before finding Media Center.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I don't think any of the harddrive players were designed for jogging.

If a smaller form factor is worth $100 more, then I stand corrected. To me, $100 is too steep to justify, you probably can get a 60gig Zen for not much more.

Re: the harddrive, Creative is introducing a smaller Zen called the "MX" (I think) that probably uses a similar drive.

Me, I went with the JB3 for its combination of features and price.

For around $199 after rebate I get a 20gb, firewire, recording capabilities, and long battery life.

Of course it is much bigger than the Zen or iPod but I mostly have it sitting next to me at my desk so that didn't matter.

I was turned off by the Zen because they ditched firewire for USB2.0 (kudos to Apple for including both formats) and you have to mail the unit to the mfg if the battery dies (I think iPod also).

Just my opinions.

Doug

sonny_b

Agent
I know for the gen2 iPod's there's a company that sells replacement batteries that even includes a tool that is used to pop the back off without scratching the nice mirror finish. Hopefully once the gen3's get longer in the tooth they will supply such a product. I forgot the name of the company...sorry.

I thought that it was pretty cool that Burton release the Amp jacket that enabled you to use the iPod through fabric buttons stitched to the sleeve.

-sonny

Todd Schnell

Second Unit

As a iPod/PC owner, I disagree with this comment.
I am running W98SE, Adaptec 4300 Firewire card, with Ephpod.
Other than a minor hiccup now & then, no problems.
I've been very happy.

As far as iPod vs Zen. I was looking at the Zen until I tried both.
Sound quality is close enough to be a wash with good headphones.

Zen
If money is tight, then the Zen is probable the best bang for the buck player out there.
Zen has a few more features.

iPod
If you want portability the iPod is much smaller, & wins hands down. This really sold me. Zen felt like a brick in my pocket.
Line out on the dock. For those of us who use a amp this makes a difference.
iPod wins ergonomics, & is just so damn sexy.

Both are nice products, just depends what your needs are.

Todd

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
As a windows owner, an ipod wasn't an option for a long time, and I tried others, including the Archos, and now that ipod is available for windows, I have a 30 GB, and it is light years better. I haven't tried the Zen, so I can't speak to that, but the ipod is worth every penny I spent on it.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
I am gonna wait for the 4th generation Ipod which will probably be a video jukebox ( WMA, Divx, quicktime ) and a normal MP3 player...

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Why not wait for the 5th generation Ipod. I heard it'll probably shine your shoes and cook your eggs in the morning. The 6th generation will purportedly drive you to work.

Actually, I heard a rumor that the extras were going to be sexual in nature. Apple always needs to convert the Windoze users some way!!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
So how do you convert these things to a receiver? is there an optical out on them?

What about Canadians? I heard that the itunes is only available from the US. will it ever be available to us Canucks?

No optical, just firewire 400 and the third gen ones also have USB 2. If you want to attach them to a amplifier, you'd have to use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter. Keep in mind that this is compressed music and will have a noticeable sound degradation in many cases. I use mine mainly when walking, on the bike or in the car.

I'm not sure about iTunes in Canada, I've only heard lots of rumours but there have been no announcements so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks