What's new

IPOD newbie question about file transfers (1 Viewer)

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I apologize in advance if this has been covered before but I could not find any info in my search.

I want to get an IPOD so that I can listen to it while working. How the heck do I get the songs on there? Do I have to use Itunes software because I am still running Windows 98 and I don't think it is compatible.

Can I still get full use of the IPOD playlists and such without any special software? I would like to just dump my MP3s onto the machine and go.

By the way, I plan to use it only for playing MP3s that are currently on my computer, I have no desire to download MP3s or join any other pay per song thing. I just want maximum portability and variety for my music.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I just got an iPod too, you can transfer all your MP3s, but you'll need iTunes to get them or anything else onto the iPod. I thought you might be able to transfer them using an explorer window but this Apple article says you have to use iTunes.

It looks like you may out of luck with Windows 98 though, try posting or searching on the Apple forums, someone in the same predicament as you may be able to help you out.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Check out some of the Rio players. I believe you can drag and drop with them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There is a 3rd party software product -- Anapod Explorer -- that will also allow you to transfer your MP3 files to an iPod without using iTunes. It works with Windows 98SE and up. See the following link for more info:

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

Personally, I am just using iTunes. However, I am running Windows XP and did not have any previous MP3 files before buying an iPod. I ripped everything in Apple's AAC format -- it sounded better to me than MP3s ripped via iTunes at the same bitrates. I may try a different MP3 encoder later, but after ripping almost 7,000 songs from my CDs, I'm not in any hurry to go through the process again soon.

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
You can use EphPod from ephpod.com/download.shtml They have with a Win98SE version. And it's free. If you got a question, just ask at iPodlounge.

Q: I'm trying to use EphPod. When I start it up I receive an error message: "Cannot Create iPod_control"

A: This is a simple fix, follow the steps below to resolve:

1. Open up the iPod Drive in My Computer
2. In there you will see a hidden folder called "iPod_control". If you don't see it, that's because it's hidden. Enable Viewing of Hidden files by clicking on Tools>Folder Options. On the "View" tab is where you can change this setting
3. Delete the "iPod_control". Note: This will delete any music you have on your iPod but is necessary to start using Ephpod
4. Start up Ephpod again. You will be prompted to create the "iPod_control" directory. This time Ephpod will be able to create it.

Since you can't use iTunes on Win98 to convert music, try Exact Audio Copy + LAME encoder. Google those two.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Thanks for the info and links. That should solve my problem.

I just didn't want to get an IPOD AND a new operating system all at the same time. I already use EAC to convert my CDs, so with these programs it sounds like I should have no problems.

Thanks again.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Another question.

When I browsed the software, it said I must have a Windows formatted IPOD. At what point does this occur? Do I have to purchase a Windows IPOD as opposed to an Apple IPOD? Are they two different things?

Thanks.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Paul:

There are only iPods, not Windows-iPods and Apple-iPods. The iPod comes with an installation CD for both Windows and Apple operating systems. The newer 4G iPods include both Firewire and USB 2.0 cables, whereas the previous generation only included Firewire. The iPod will also now charge through the USB cable.

If you're not already aware of it, iPod Lounge is a great resource.

There are areas of iPod Lounge that cover software alternatives to iTunes, such as Anapod Explore and EphPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks