What's new

iPod nano 3rd Generation (Need Help Urgently!) (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Some time ago, my step sister left me with a 4GB iPod nano 3rd generation device to load some music for her, which I successfully did!

One thing and another, more than 4 years have passed, and I still have the device. As it happens, I'll be meeting with her on Tuesday as my son is taking me on a Road Trip. Thus, here is my chance to finally return her device fully loaded!

Here is what might be a problem: Any outlet I plug the nano device into, it turns on for maybe a minute, and then turns off again. So far as I can tell from having checked the online manual for the 3rd generation device, it appears to be close to fully charged. Yet, turning on the device by pressing any switch as stated in the manual does not work, nor does the Battery Symbol present itself when I have the nano plugged in to charge. The only way it lights up is when I initially plug in the iPod nano player!

What I'm hoping is that somebody might be able to explain to me whether I'm missing something or if I'm basically sol in getting this device to properly function!

For what it's worth, here's a link to the manual: https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA285/en_US/iPod_nano_3rd_gen_Features_Guide.pdf

I'm hoping to have this solved (If that's even possible?) before Monday morning, as that is when we'll be hitting the road! :)

CHEERS! :)

Tony

EDIT: Never mind! The Battery Charging Symbol DID eventually pop up, so it apparently didn't have enough charge (Despite the in my opinion, rather confusing tiny symbol that seemed to indicate a near full charge!) after all!

Further Update: OK, even though the Battery Charging Symbol does show, the iPod nano STILL doesn't appear to be charging AT ALL! What gives me cause to believe this is that it's supposed to have an 80% charge after 1.5 hours of charging, and yet after HOURS of attempted charging, the device STILL won't start up when the iPod cable is unattached!

This is looking more and more like a possible dead battery issue to me. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Four years ago, you were going to load some music onto an iPod for you step sister. My guess, she's since found music to listen to and no longer wants the forgotten iPod. :)

If you are her only hope, she's been without music for four years and will remain so until you return provide her an iPod with music, you might consider replacing it with a new nano. Same price as the nine-year-old model, but 4x storage.

But if not...have you tried a different cable, just to make sure?

I've got a 4th gen nano. It's a little flaky in syncing and charging. And battery life is much shorter than when new. Yours is probably dead.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Four years ago, you were going to load some music onto an iPod for you step sister. My guess, she's since found music to listen to and no longer wants the forgotten iPod. :)

If you are her only hope, she's been without music for four years and will remain so until you return provide her an iPod with music, you might consider replacing it with a new nano. Same price as the nine-year-old model, but 4x storage.

But if not...have you tried a different cable, just to make sure?

I've got a 4th gen nano. It's a little flaky in syncing and charging. And battery life is much shorter than when new. Yours is probably dead.
Hi Dave!

I know this scenario must seem odd, but so it goes! :)

Truth be told, while not a big priority for her, she will be happy to have her iPod nano back. Regarding the cable, from my end, it's obvious that it does work, as using this to connect the nano to another power source (IE. PC; USB Battery Stick) is the only way it actually will function! I also read at another website a comment regarding the exact same scenario, which explained the built in battery is very likely dead! This, even though the device in question has been barely used--only to load the music and a bit of testing, that's it! Again, so it goes! :P

Thank you for the cable suggestion anyway, as they've been known to fail on occasion! ;)

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tony, just a hunch. Is the lock switch engaged? My last nano I have is a fourth generation, it has the switch on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks